FrogAddict

What The Forums Have Taught Me So Far (Newbie Survival Guide)

Here are some things I've learned from reading lots of posts:

Top Coating

D2T sets up fast (can be an issue) and can be found at Ace (needs to be turned when curing). 

Etex is forgiving but may react to humidity and needs to be turned when curing

DN has storage challenges but seems to have a loyal fan base

GST circumvents the mixing variable but takes longer to cure

Don't use the 5 minute epoxy for topcoating, there's just not enough working time. It's fine to use this for setting hardware.

Painting

Buy a good quality gravity fed brush.

• Take your time
  • Don't try and use non air brush paints in your airbrush....it sucks.
  • Clean clean clean. Think about it, we are measuring the tip in fractions of millimeters here people. You shouldn't be surprised when it clogs. Heck, my toilet clogs from time to time.....
  • Have a plan, base coats have drastic effects on the color you paint over them.
  • Run some heat on each layer before you move on, especially if you use GST for a topcoat. 
  • Look around your local craft store for scaling material. Once I started this crazy hobby a couple weeks ago, everything is scaling material.

Lure Materials

• Some folks sure love PVC and AZEK seems to be the favorite brand. The advantages are fewer steps and tank testing is doable right after drilling ballast holes.
  • Balsa is very buoyant but week. through wire is a must, sealing w/ superglue helps with strength.
  • Poplar is pretty darn buoyant as well and is readily available in the big box stores.
  • Use stainless steel wire (guages seem to be a preference here) and get it at your local welding store or at McMasters (sp) online.
  • There are many places on the internet to buy eye screws. No need to ask, just Google away.
  • Crank lips seem to occupy the minds of the forum folks. I'm glad I'm going to focus on top water lures. 

People

• There are some damn intelligent people in the forums. I sure appreciate learning from your trials and errors.
  • In my humble opinion,forums like this one is the best use of the crazy interweb.

One final thought, if you're new, please search for an existing thread before you ask the same question that has been asked and answered. I know it's easier to just ask but this whole lure making deal is about the journey!

Note: I believe you have to sign up to use the search function. So sign up already!

• Like 2

@ FrogAddict

Great write-up of yours , .......welcome to the TackleUnderground :yay:

A "Fishy" New Year , ...greetz , 61diemai

PS : Here's one possibly helping about your toilet , ....would have to practise a bit , though :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

toilet.jpg

post-17895-0-26457300-1388569132_thumb.jpg

Edited by diemai
  • Like 1

@ FrogAddict

Great write-up of yours , .......welcome to the TackleUnderground :yay:

A "Fishy" New Year , ...greetz , 61diemai

PS : Here's one possibly helping about your toilet , ....would have to practise a bit , though :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !

attachicon.giftoilet.jpg

Hope you don't get a "crosswind" that knocks your aim off Dieter. 8O

Ben