DR609BASS

Weedguards Flaring Out!

Hi guys I've recently just started making jigs. I have the do it weedless brush jig mold I use the 1/8th inch weedguards. I'm am having some trouble with the weedguards becoming soft and flaring out when I heat my jigs up to powder paint. Im using a heat gun.I have the heat resistant tubing that do it sells and I still am having issues with my weedguards. What is the best way to powder paint the jigs and have the weedguards not be affected? I was planning on buying the Teflon inserts that janns net craft sells. Powder paint with them in, pop them out and then use like the devcon 2 ton epoxy to put in the weedguards is that my best bet? I attached a picture of my jigs I just made with the weedguards flared out to show you guys. Any response will be much appreciated!!!

Who are you getting your fiber guards from?  The ones that fishingskirts.com sells are made of a different plastic and tend to really flare and will also shorten in length when cooked.  These are best just to glue in after you cure the powder coat.

The only other manufacturer that produces fiber guards is Kaiser Lure Co (www.lurecomponents.com) that I know of.  They provide guards to pretty much everyone else as best as I can tell.  Their guards stand up to heat in the oven but will flare if you don't put a guard over them while cooking.  Just fine to glue into the heads after curing also.

If you want to pour jigs with the guards in place, you will need sleeves to protect the guard from the heat.  You can buy sleeves from Barlows or Janns I believe.  I made my own from wooden dowels.  I took a dowel (3/8" I think) and cut it into 2" lengths.  I then drilled a hole down the center of it a little bigger then 1/8" with my drill press.  I took a bigger bit and made a cone on the end to funnel the fibers into the smaller hole.  I made about 60 of them for just a couple $$.  And they last and last.  If the guard is a little out of shape before you bake the jig, it will straighten out perfectly with the guard on it in the oven. 

I've gone to Teflon pins and gluing the guards in with Super Glue gel myself.  Good luck!

Try buying some 1/8" or slightly larger diameter aluminum tubing from a hobby supply store.  Cut it into pieces 1/4" longer than your weed guards and then flare one end out (I used a large nail that a sanded smooth - then just stuck in in the tube and rotated it around until the edge flared out).  Then slide the flared end over the weed guard and slide it down to the base/lead before heating your jigs and you're good to go.   The tubing will keep the weed guard from warping/bending when heated.

I slide the tube on, heat with my heat gun and dip in the fluid bed to coat the head.... then cook them in the oven.  Once fully cured I slide the aluminum tubing off and trim or bend the weed guard as desired.

J.

• Like 2