saltwater

Fiberglass Baits

I have a few questions about fiberglass saltwater.

Are the lures you make hollow or solid?

How well does it take screw eyes?

Is it comparable to any type of wood you worked with before?

Thanks

s56

I make both hollow and solid fiberglass baits.

As far as screw eyes, I have material, fiberglass or my home-made polyester putty in place to accept/hold the screw eyes. I either drill or insert a pilot hole of the proper size to accommodate the self tapping eye screws.

Fiberglass baits are best compared to plastic baits as opposed to wood. Since fiberglass baits are from a mold and not cut, carved or formed by lathe or router.

I typically but not exclusively, start with a wood plug/master from which I make the molds from.

I have also made molds to copy older commercial baits. Many years ago, when I was living in the Florida Keys, I made copies of the Heddon "VAMP" and Shakespeare "JIM DANDY".  They worked well for near shore Red Snapper and Spotted Sea Trout.

robalo01, Thank you, I have thought about posting instructions on the Forum.

I will gladly share what I know with you and all of my fellow Members. Like you they are the deserving, helpful and giving heroes here on TU.

But, I don't want to give hard earned information to guests and anonymous users who don't give back. In my humble opinion they are undeserving.