Thousand Islands

Enviro Tex Lite 2Nd Coat Question

Hello All,

Just found this site.  Great source of info.  Thanks to all that take the time to answer newbie questions.  Here is mine.

I just started painting plastic blanks that I use for muskie fishing.  I am using Enviro Tex Lite as my clear coat.  On my first application it appears I did not apply enough to the blank since there are very small areas that do not contain any coverage.  When I first applied the epoxy, the blank appeared to be thoroughly covered.  When I returned to the drying wheel the next morning, there were a couple very small locations with no coverage.  Can I apply a second coat to the areas of concern or is it recommended that you reapply to the entire lure?  Also, any recommendations on how to apply the first coat without creating this problem.  Thanks for any and all replies.

PC

Just put a second coat on. I found that if you don't apply Etex liberally and turn it on a wheel it will fish eye every time. It seems as it cures it shrinks and pulls the finish away in places. Once I started putting it on heavier I had no more problems.

Just put a second coat on. I found that if you don't apply Etex liberally and turn it on a wheel it will fish eye every time. It seems as it cures it shrinks and pulls the finish away in places. Once I started putting it on heavier I had no more problems.

I agree.  Just put another coat over the first, and use heavier coats in the future.  I suspect you'll find that you prefer two coats anyway.  If you encounter rocks (or in your case teeth), two coats of Etex is a good idea.  To help prevent the dreaded Etex fisheye, be sure you thoroughly heat set your paint after every coat.  Also, apply your paint in thin layers.  Another thing that seems to help a bit, is to let your bait set in a warm location for a day after painting before you clear coat.  As far as cleaning your blanks before painting, Isopropyl alcohol is another good option.  Some use a quick dip in Acetone, but know that it can soften the plastic, so tread lightly.