saltwater

Recreating Baits Of The Past

I always have wondered what would happen if you drilled a bigger hole in the middle 

Actually I do not know about the purpose of that hole other than mentioned in the video , but on two spoons I've mounted a bead inside of a bigger hole and I can't seem to notice any significant difference in swimming action , ...something , that I had already observed with other spoon models as well , ....to my eyes same way built models swim about the same pattern , no matter whether with bead holes or without .

But I guess , if the hole would turn significantly larger , maybe like 12 to 18 millimetres dia on the 2" dia spoon , a difference would occur , ...I reckon , that the wiggle might decrease , since not so much pressure would build up on the reverse side anymore , as it increasingly releases through a bigger hole ?

But , thought in reverse , ...if I have a spoon with a very deep cupping , ...like an ordinary soup spoon lure, for example , ....that turns on it's reverse side pretty quick even at moderate retrieve pace and only flutters up and down at this stage . 

An approbiate hole drilled into the deepest point of the soup spoon's cupping might release some of the water pressure to enhance a nice side-to-side wobble again , ... instead of the spoon just kinda hovering about with it's reverse side down ?

......but that's just theory :?  , ........greetz , Dieter :yay:

The old-time lures with holes claim in their advertising that the holes create vibrations in the water that attract fish...Sounds good on paper... :?

OK , ...you can read such even in  modern lure catalogs from time to time ,..... I remember to have seen a Japanese crankbait with holes through it's lip recently , ....and there also is the over here wellknown French "Sandra" plastic lure line , which is a shad with a grub tail pierced with a line of holes said to cause little vortices to attract fish more :

http://lurevideos.com/en/delalande-sandra/

But finally we would never know , what exactly makes a fish bite sucha pierced lure , ...simply because fish can't talk :lol: !

Greetz  Dieter :yay:

Surfing the web I just came across this one , ........partly after a whole century , old lures still going strong :

http://www.retiredlures.com/Still-Catching-Fish.html

................in particular I like the story about the "Heddon Gamefisher" , ........"check a local antique store :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !"

enjoy , ...greetz , Dieter :yay:  

• Like 1

Thought you all would like to see my copy of a bait from the past.

I made a fiberglass mold of the CREEK CHUB "STREEKER" and made a fiberglass copy of the original. The silver bait is the original and the painted primer grey is the copy.

Now I can make a fleet of STREEKER baits and paint them with different themes and see what if any work best.

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

STREEKER COPY 002.jpg

post-46167-0-71860800-1400794500_thumb.jpg

Griffond, I make my molds the same way fiberglass boat molds are made and my baits are made like fiberglass boats are made from said molds. I used to make boat molds and fiberglass boats so that is where my experience comes from.

I have written step by step instructions on how make fiberglass bait molds and have a series of photos showing how I made this STREEKER mold.

I don't care to share my secrets with non members so I won't post instructions on the open FORUM.

However, I have sent the instructions to several TU Members and I will be happy to send them to you too, if you want them that is. PM me with your email address and I will send the instructions and photos right away.