crankie

Re-Painting

Finally, got back in to TU.  I was asked the other day if I would repaint some Rapala's for my electrician,  This has probably been explained over and over but I am looking for ways to increase fall and winter activities.  How far down should I sand these or should I only rough up the surface.  He wants only whites with possibly simple pinstripe type blood lines applied.  He will be supplying a couple of dozen so I will have the time. 

Any help or direction for this will be appreciated. 

One thing to remember about reworking balsa lures is that if you sand through to bare wood you'll have to reseal the entire bait which is pretty much starting from scratch. Unless the baits are in really bad shape a light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper should suffice. This will give the new paint something to bite to.

Ben

Amen to that!  I NEVER want to sand a balsa crankbait down to raw wood.  To me, it's pretty much unrecoverable if you do.  One way to remove all the paint from Rapalas is to torch it off with a propane torch, leaving the undercoating intact.  You have to be careful but the flame will quickly wrinkle and release the clearcoat and paint from the non-flammable undercoating on Rapalas.  I hesitate to recommend this when a light sanding would probably suffice because you are literally playing with fire.  It's easy to ruin the lip if you're not careful.  Nor can I guarantee that Rapala uses non-flammable undercoating on all of their baits.  I've experimented with torching on a few repaints of wood lures.  Worked great on Rapala Risto Raps.  Burst into vigorous flames on a Poe, which uses a very flammable undercoating, and instantly ruined the lure.  But if I had 20 Rapalas to repaint... ? 

Edited by BobP

I guess the question I had is are the Rapalas balsa or plastic... since husky jerks are plastic and some of there other baits are as well just keep an eye on what your sanding... if you get a nice mix I would separate them into two groups wood and plastic since the plastic is much easier to deal with then the wood.