Reelentless

Having Issues With Etex & Pvc Baits..help

I've used Etex for a bit now and everything has turned out nice. I'm starting to experiment with different Pvc bodies and I'm having issues with it pooling up in spots and running from even some rounded edges. Temp is right,mixtures right and turn on a lure turner. Do I have to seal them first? Any help is appreciated.

If your getting runs or drips (pooling) in the Etex then your applying too much at one time. The viscosity of Etex being what it is it has to be applied in multiple, thin coats. I've had this happen to me when I was first starting out and even though it's a pain in the rear you can sand the "pools" down and apply another coat and it will be hard to tell where the boo boo was.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Thanks Ben,

The only other thing I did different with these baits is I was trying to put a coat on before painting. I was thinking it would give a nice surface and lock in my lip & twisted wire in better after 5 minute epoxing them. Maybe I handled the baits with some oily hands by mistake. It's been awhile since I made one. Hopefully I can sand it out. Thanks

I use the excess D2T from when I seat my bills to seal the PVC and make it a little smoother.  

I dip my finger in clean alcohol, and spread the squeeze out from when the bill is pushed into place over the rest of the bait.  And I use whatever's left on my mixing tape to finish the job.  The alcohol thins the epoxy, and it soaks into the PVC.

Once it's hardened, I can sand it if I want to, or just begin painting with my base coat.  An imperfections that are left are filled with by paint, and/or by the top coat.

• Like 1

I use the excess D2T from when I seat my bills to seal the PVC and make it a little smoother.

I dip my finger in clean alcohol, and spread the squeeze out from when the bill is pushed into place over the rest of the bait. And I use whatever's left on my mixing tape to finish the job. The alcohol thins the epoxy, and it soaks into the PVC.

Once it's hardened, I can sand it if I want to, or just begin painting with my base coat. An imperfections that are left are filled with by paint, and/or by the top coat.

X2!!!