ING

Help! How To Get White Silver Blades?

Thank you for replay!

I mean white matt silver blades like
http://www.randblures.com/white_matte_silver_french_blades.html

At first: This RandB Lures company has stopped production of that kind of blades and

Second: They never made #6 of white matte silver blades.

I've called them and they are referred me to E-bay where somebody selling assembled spinners with white blades but that lures are small and expensive.

I have a lot of shiny polished silver blades and would like to turn them somehow to non-shiny white silver bades

What you can do to get a dull finish, is to take some really fine steel wool, and you can run it one direction which will give you an eve grain, along with a soft satin finish. Do not polish too long as you will take the plating off and get down to the brass mat'l. I am assuming these are high quality brass plated blades. You will not however get a white plating by doing this. The steel wool you want to use is (000) extra fine or (0000) super fine. These grades will dull yet not take off too much plating.

On another note, you can use a silver mist powder paint on one surface. It looks like galvanized steel.

Edited by cadman

Thank you Cadman! Problem 1: the matte silver is not same as white silver or white matte silver. Huge difference! Problem 2: leer of plated silver is so thin that any rubbing could kill it.
White silver is highly recommended by salmon and steelhead top fisherman. In the bright days polished silver looks non-natural. White silver working much better.

Edited by ING

What he is wanting in the matte silver is the reflectivity. Real gold and real silver blades reflect WAY more light then your typical brass and nickel blades. Paint is way lower then brass and nickel (reflectivity)They make all the difference in the world when fishing for salmon and steelhead. The matte finish is the most popular. Not sure where to get in size 6 but should be easy to find size 5 and smaller.

If you try plating blades yourself, just remember that the smoothness of the finish will be the same as the smoothness of the blade before you plate it.  So if you want a really shiny finish you need to mirror polish the blades before plating and if you want a matte finish you need to have a matte surface on the blades before plating with silver.  Also, since silver tarnishes you'll want to give your blades a protective clear coat after they are plated.

I think it will tarnish but less that copper or iron. Basically silver prevents power loss because it has better conductivity and less resisting to current in the point of contact. Contacts are less heating and oxidizing.

Long time ago all big computers had boards with silver contacts that required periodical cleaning by alcohol.