Jaw

Alumilite Mold Making And Super Foam

I recently picked up an alumilite casting kit that includes super light casting plastic,quick set rtv,and mold release. I also picked up super foam 320 and high strength rtv. I wanted micro balloons but they didn't have any. I have watched numerous videos and read the search results but I'm just a little unsure so here's my questions.

First I plan on just pouring a one piece mold for so poppers.

1. Will the super light be usable for lure bodies with screw eyes or will I need to do through wire and does super light float well enough with out the ballons?

2. Can I pour the super foam directly into the rtv mold or will I need to slurry the mold with resin first?

3. Will the super foam be strong enough for screw eyes or will it require through wire?

4. Can I get a good mold without using a vacuum pump to degass the rtv ( pour from a good hiegth above the mold box)?

Sorry to blast y'all with so many questions but I have never made a mold out of anything other than pop and bondo and although there is a lot of good info from the search function I have been reluctant to start although I have already invested the money in the material. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I don't know how to copy and past anymore, if you can even do that on this site now, but I sent you a PM on the subject.  I will try to do a short summary on this.

I don't know of any Super Lite casting resin, unless it is the 400.  I have not tried it but the specifications on it don't look good to me.  I would NOT expect it to be good for lure making unless it was used as a filler inside a shell.  Just my opinion, but ....

Quick Set RTV is the firm version of the RTV, and it is excellent for two piece molds or open face molds.  RTV 2 is more flexible, more versatile, but Hobby Lobby does not carry it.  RTV 3 is the most flexible and is best for one piece molds or parts with a lot of undercut.  2 is my favorite but I use all three.

Microballoons are not necessary for the 620 foam (same density and strength as balsa) and Super Foam 320 is too soft for lures in my opinion.  Alumifoam is the same density as cedar wood, but as tough as nails and hard as a rock.  Microballoons work best with Alumilite White or similar to make hard plastics, not foams, lighter.

A vacuum is not necessary for Quick Set, RTV 2 or RTV 3.  If you ever go to PLAT 4, then you will need it (I don't use PLAT 4).

Let me know if I can help any more.  The www.makelure.com web site has how too videos, links to their products, and even a lure photo section of past lures submitted.  Makelure.com is a branch of Alumilite, part of Mike's (Alumilite owner) hobby side of work.  LOL  Great guy.

well decided to make a two part mold of a rapala j-11. I poured the first half and aloud it to cure then removed all the clay, which is kind of a pain and cleaned the mold really good. mixed my rtv and poured the second half piece of cake right no I forgot my mold release, instant one piece mold duh. Hopefully I can use it as a one piece to experiment with until I get better at this but ive got eighteen hours (cure time) to see