Bois d'Arc

Preparation Before Painting Plastic Lure Blanks?

Just wondering what, if anything, others do to prepare a plastic lure blank for painting?  I'm speaking about sanding, cleaning with alcohol, dipping in solvents, washing with soap.....whatever is done before the first paint is sprayed on the unpainted blanks.  Thanks for any responses to this question.

I dip them once, quickly, in clean acetone, hang them to let it evaporate, and then paint directly over the freshly exposed plastic with my water based air brush paints.  For me, the dipping provides a totally clean, "open" surface, and I've had not problems with my Createx or Wildlife paints bonding.  It also clears any sanding dullness at the joints.

The top coat protects the paint.  

I've been doing this for years now, and it's worked for me.

But, bear in mind, I'm a hobby builder, so I don't have tons of baits out there that I have to stand behind.

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks for the responses.  As usual, TU has folks are ready to offer helpfull comments on just about any tacklemaking subject.  I will certainly try some of the suggestions to prepare my unpainted blanks before painting.  I recently tried the acetone dip and was very pleased with the way it cleared the plastic of any surface abrasions and discoloration.  The only issue I had was with some chalky white stuff forming on the lowest part of the blank after hanging and drying.  Some of it wipes off, but not all of it.  Anyone have any similar experiences?  Did I miss a step?  IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

post-46591-0-16368600-1420556927_thumb.jpg

The acetone dip works great now...thanks Ben, for the tip on avoiding the chalky residue.  I used a soda blaster to remove paint from some plastic lures and then wiped the soda blasted lures off and dipped them in acetone.  They cleared very nicely and look ready for painting.  The hvac went out in my shop so I'm down for a few days.  Once thats fixed I'll paint a few of them and see how it goes.

Always good information from this site ....thanks to everyone who commented.

Edited by boisarc