Saugerman

Painting Rapala Dt Series Baits

Yes, it's a PITA but I also use painters tape - I start with small strips near the nose of the bait and work my way out to the end with larger pieces.  It often takes 8-9 pieces to do it all but I haven't found a better way to get it done.  I take it off by lifting edges of the tape with an X-acto knife before I topcoat the bait.

I use 1 1/2" blue painters tape.

I cut a piece about 3" long, and place it up against the nose on the top of the lure.  I push the line tie wire up through the tape, and then wrap the tape over the tip of the bill and down back side of the bill, trying to get it to cover the same location near the nose as I do.

Once I have the main bill covered, I cut a 1/4"X 1 1/2" strip of tape, cut that into two 3/4" lengths, and use those strips to mask the small triangle at each side of the bait's nose that aren't covered yet.  I start by putting the first strip on top, covering that triangle, and then fold it over the edge of the bill and align it to cover the triangle on the bottom.

For me, that's plenty.  

I used to try and get a perfect fit by cutting curves in the tape, but I soon found out that for me, this method is plenty good, and takes about two minutes a bait.

For smaller bills, I wrap from side to side, not over the nose, and use the excess tape at the end of the bill for the side strips.  I cut it off before I begin folding, so it is a nice, straight+- piece.