dog1660

Jig Making Help

It seems that most of the latest jigs are being made with the brush guards added last or after paint. My question is are you pouring your jigs with the guard in place or installing them later? Paint first then guard or paint and tie in the skirt and do the guard very last. I think it would be a lot easier to tie without a guard in the way, I just wanted to see how most of you prefer to do this. Thanks for any input.

Until I started using Teflon pins for the weed guard hole, I poured many jigs with the guard in place.  And then painted them.  It can be done.  I drilled out a bunch of wooden dowels to slip over the weed guards while in the oven.  If you don't, they will spread out.

The guards from Lure Components are pretty good to use if you want to bake paint with the guard in place.  The guards from fishingskirts are made from a different type of plastic and will deform pretty easily in the oven.  The price is better but are really best to glue in after painting.

I now usually just glue in the guards.  It depends on the head type if I tie the skirt on first or do it after installing the guards.

McMaster Carr but be careful ordering the long stock as the freight on it is expensive. Someone told me if you order it 4' in lengths and smaller it's cheaper but I have no personal experience with it. I ordered a 6 foot piece of it and made a whole bunch way back when. It's the teflon rod.

McMaster Carr shipping can be very high in my opinion. Ordered a 12/12 1/32 piece of g10 garlite to make some crankbait bills last week part was6.47 shipping was $14 they didn't add shipping cost to the bill until after it had shipped just said applicable shipping would be applied guess that's their policy