Venutian_Lures

Boss Jig Armor Paint?

I've only seen it there. I had a chemist looki into having it formulated, and not worth my time, money and effort. Everything can be done  as it's not magic. Anyway I don't personally use it. I know some guys do and they like it.

Edited by cadman

Is this stuff different/better than the Protech powder paints I've been using?

Better is a relative term. The best or ideal powder paint formulation is TGIC powder paint.  I know that CSI powder paint is a TGIC powder. Now I also know the formulation of Boss Armor paint, however I will not reveal the chemical make-up. Let's put it this way. Both companies make very good powder. The question you have to ask yourself is it worth $8 for 2 oz.  My answer to that is no, however if you don't look for other companies to buy powder from, than you will have to pay their price. The most critical element of powder painting is to bake it properly to get the correct hardness.

Is there any other manufacturers that has a system like theirs where you get the paint separation (not sure what to call it) where you apply the black base then a collor like chrome?

If you are referring to their illusion line-up, it is a silver vein powder paint base and then a candy color applied over that. The silver vein  and candy color powders are available anywhere ( Dupont, Sherwin Williams, etc...) The thing with these two powders are that they are private labeled, and some companies have good powder and some is poor. You don't know what you are getting. Dupont and Sherwin Williams are very good powders, however now you run into quantity. Buying from these companies, usually requires buying a 55 lb box if you want good pricing. So now what are you going to do with 55 lbs? All the other colors of Boss Armor are just custom blended powder paints made to someones color choice. To me it is no better than anyone else's. I'm not saying anything negative about their powder paint. They are all good if you do your homework and follow directions. Let's face it we all have to pay what the market value is, unless you have a source to buy your own. I am fortunate to have many powder paints available to me, therefore I rarely buy from CSI and have never bought the Boss powder paint as I can have my own made.

• Like 1

Interesting but I've got to chuckle over the somewhat anality of concern over jig head paint and color.I guess I'm too old and set in my ways but after 35+ years of manufacturing and fishing jigs I firmly beleive in two jig head colors-black and green pumpkin.If you want your painted jig head to last longer,coat them  w/ epoxy. Today's multicolored silicone skirts and two-color injected trailers representations do the trick to perfectly emulate crayfish. The hook,weed guard,head design and balance of the completed jig is far more important vs 2-3 colored heads w/ eyes.I do respect those who are willing to make the fancy jig head colors w/ eyes.That said,they simply make no difference in the catch rate. If you want a swim-bait presentation,fish a swim-bait w/ all the lifelike representations available to anglers today.

$8.00 for 2 ozs- are they kidding me??!! :eek:

You can give the best multicolored  jig/trailer combo w/ the most sensitive rod /reel and line combos to a mediocre fisherman and he still won't catch fish simply because his presentation techniques and jig experience is lacking.So many younger anglers are putting" the cart in front of the horse."

Interesting but I've got to chuckle over the somewhat anality of concern over jig head paint and color.I guess I'm too old and set in my ways but after 35+ years of manufacturing and fishing jigs I firmly beleive in two jig head colors-black and green pumpkin.If you want your painted jig head to last longer,coat them  w/ epoxy. Today's multicolored silicone skirts and two-color injected trailers representations do the trick to perfectly emulate crayfish. The hook,weed guard,head design and balance of the completed jig is far more important vs 2-3 colored heads w/ eyes.I do respect those who are willing to make the fancy jig head colors w/ eyes.That said,they simply make no difference in the catch rate. If you want a swim-bait presentation,fish a swim-bait w/ all the lifelike representations available to anglers today.

$8.00 for 2 ozs- are they kidding me??!! :eek:

You can give the best multicolored  jig/trailer combo w/ the most sensitive rod /reel and line combos to a mediocre fisherman and he still won't catch fish simply because his presentation techniques and jig experience is lacking.So many younger anglers are putting" the cart in front of the horse."

Your analogy on colors is somewhat true. I personally only fish three colors black/blue, green pumpkin  and brown. These have been the most productive for me most of the time. I will toss in a all black jig and a all white jig in the mix once in awhile. I also believe that many colors are lake specific and many colors are confidence colors. With that said I too believe that many of the multi-color jigs and spinnerbaits you see out on the market are there to sell to fishermen. I guess that's why we keep buying and trying we want to find that one color that will load up the boat all the time. We all know that, that is not the everyday scenario. I agree that many of the big companies overcharge for powder paint and many colors don't even come in to play in catching bass, but people like colors and that's why it sells. However one last note and that I strongly believe that walleye are color sensitive. When I started out fishing for walleye, sauger and saugeye years ago, they seemed to like very bright colors, so color might be species specific as well. Lot of info and choices out there for guys.

I've done the illusion paint job using Columbia coatings silver vein and candy colors over top, a lot of guys have trouble with it but there is something they don't tell you, and that is the curing process. If you take silver vein powder and do a jig with it and then put a candy color over top, the colors will blend together and it will get really dark, the secret is to paint with the silver vein and then cure it and let it cool. Jig Armor says to cure for 10 minutes and then add the candy color, it works but results are better with full cure, sort of like doing table rock shad, you put the chartreuse on and then cure and then add purple, if not the purple will turn brown. When it comes to colors I think what ever gives the person confidence, some laugh at red hooks, I know 2 elite series pros that still put a red hook for the front of their cranks as they have confidence in it, and Davy Hite is one of them and he doesn't have a hook sponsor that he is pushing product, he just likes that set up. I also think guys want to differentiate their stuff from other stuff, most of us use Do-it molds and one thing I like about making tackle is you can give 10 guys the same mold and same combination of paint and skirt material and you will get back 10 different looking baits, we all like to put our own stamp on things and if a multi-color paint is what you like to do then go for it, same thing if you make every head black or blue or whatever, we put our stamp on it. Some like a lot of different colors in the skirt, some like the colors on the head, and others like it more simple, the truth is they all work, or it would be done but it all comes down to confidence, I don't do many colors on regular flipping jigs or hair jigs but swim jigs, I make one I call shell cracker that I use brown ,orange, and blue with and orange, blue and green pumpkin skirt, it was color of a big shell cracker sunfish that was pictured in an old sports afield magazine and I decided to try it out and it works...In clear water!!!! But is it the color or me??? If I could answer that I'd be a rich man but that is what is cool, we will never stop looking for the answer and as long as these cool powders are being made, we'll continue to use them in hopes of finding a good combination.

• Like 3

Cadman and smalljaw- Good ,honest replies-I enjoyed reading both of them in their entirety.I mentioned that last year was the pilot year for my  Bronze-eye Bullet,non-painted spinner bait heads fished in rivers for smallmouth bass. 4 color skirts,quality worth blades / bearings and a bright, WTP recessed 3-d eye.They work in spades for those who don't want to spend $6-7 bucks for a painted spinner bait head.I've painted more 3-color spinner bait heads then I can remember-nor care too. They are a time consuming P.I.A. I think anglers are their own worst enemy @ times forgetting what has worked for years and buying fancy baits looking for the magic bullet bait. :drool:

Edgecrusher that's what I was trying to ask. I picked up some of their paint a yr or so ago because I like the black chrome look I believe I got a blue and candy red also to play around with. I don't pour much only a few arkie jigs , a rigs , some sb and swim jigs for myself and friends nothing close to what you guys do but I believe I could get by with white, black, watermelon, and green pumpkin and do whatever I wanted really. The other colors are for looks in my opinion that's what people like it's got to catch their eye before it catches a fish this includes myself everybody liked pretty and flashy

• Like 1