uncustered

First Craw

Wow,...this can be as addictive as rod building...

Painting cranks is fun and frustrating (especially when your 68% color deficient  :pissed: )

Here's my light green craw prior to coating:

tommys light green craw

This effort has created as many questions as it did lures...
1. I am looking to do a "missouri craw" pattern, I have searched the web and it seems it's impossible to find 2 lures that claim to be "missouri craw" that are the same color. When someone asks for a specific color / pattern, where do you go to find the original,,, say wiggle wart missouri craw? I tried searching that and still came up with several different colors.....
2. How do you know in advance what effect the epoxy will have on tone/tint? It seems some colors I think will darken, lighten, and some I think will lighten up, get darker??? 
3. I'm using a badger 150. It seems my paint (even reduced) is a larger droplet... Am I not putting enough paint on? I heat set each color/ coat...
4. lastly, how long do you let the paint (i'm using mainly createx) dry before coating?

Thanks and tight lines....

Most will shoot with a .35mm or smaller for fine detail not sure what the 150 fine is as I didn't see it posted in the badger line so I would confirm what needle/nozzle set you have on your brush, also a siphon fed brush can be tricky to work with on small details as it requires much more air pressure (PSI) to operate correctly and accordingly blows paint at a higher velocity.

Man, that's a great looking craw!!!

I have no idea what a Missouri Craw should look like.  I think crawdads vary so much in the wild that a natural color scheme will work.  Adding accent colors, like light blues, oranges, and chartreuse, might help to more closely match local variations, but some form of green pumpkin with an orange belly will get bit everywhere.

I've found that, in general, clear top coats make paint schemes more vivid.  I don't know why. 

For me, epoxies change paint colors the most, due to thicker coatings and yellowing of the hardener over time.

The only urethane I've used is SC9000, and it doesn't diminish paints at all, even metallics and pearls.

The top coat I'm using now, AC1315, is a concrete sealer.  It also doesn't diminish paints at all, and it is really hard and tough (it's designed to hold up to car traffic).

I have a Badger siphon brush with a .5 tip.  I don't know anything about the 150 brush at all.

Badger 155 Anthem

DUAL ACTION, INTERNAL MIX, SIPHON (BOTTOM) FEED

The Anthem®, Model 155, is the most comfortable, reliable, proficient, cost effective, user friendly airbrush ever. The two angle needle tip precisely mates with the Anthem's cone shaped nozzle enabling a single needle/nozzle configuration to spray virtually any desired material, thus eliminating the need for fine, medium, or large needle/nozzle variations. The Anthem's body design provides exacting balance and long term user comfort. The Anthem® also provides flawless performance in the most rigorous of production airbrushing environments.

FEATURES

• Single needle/nozzle for spraying all mediums, inks, dyes, watercolors, acrylics, enamels, lacquers, glazes, latex, Air-Opaqueª, Air-Tex®, MODELflex® Totally Tattoo® and Totally Tanª colors

• Single needle/nozzle sprays pencil lines to 3" (76mm) spray pattern

• Minimal spare parts to stock

• Easy maintenance and cleaning

• Fastest needle release on the market

• Finger tight assembly tolerances

• Excellent for multiple applications for novice to advanced airbrushers

• Lifetime warranty on labor and PTFE seals

• Fine replacement parts now available

Badger 155 Anthem

DUAL ACTION, INTERNAL MIX, SIPHON (BOTTOM) FEED

The Anthem®, Model 155, is the most comfortable, reliable, proficient, cost effective, user friendly airbrush ever. The two angle needle tip precisely mates with the Anthem's cone shaped nozzle enabling a single needle/nozzle configuration to spray virtually any desired material, thus eliminating the need for fine, medium, or large needle/nozzle variations. The Anthem's body design provides exacting balance and long term user comfort. The Anthem® also provides flawless performance in the most rigorous of production airbrushing environments.

FEATURES

• Single needle/nozzle for spraying all mediums, inks, dyes, watercolors, acrylics, enamels, lacquers, glazes, latex, Air-Opaqueª, Air-Tex®, MODELflex® Totally Tattoo® and Totally Tanª colors

• Single needle/nozzle sprays pencil lines to 3" (76mm) spray pattern

• Minimal spare parts to stock

• Easy maintenance and cleaning

• Fastest needle release on the market

• Finger tight assembly tolerances

• Excellent for multiple applications for novice to advanced airbrushers

• Lifetime warranty on labor and PTFE seals

• Fine replacement parts now available

Sounds like a great airbrush, for a siphon gun.

Edited by mark poulson