MuskyGary

Water Bases Polyurethane

Water based urethanes will seal the wood and make for a smooth surface when sanded, but it won't be a water proof sealer. I doubt you would have trouble putting water based paints over oil urethanes, but you might have trouble if you put oil based urethanes over water based paints. I don't see water based urethanes being an end to your troubles but I might be wrong. Just my $.02 worth. Musky Glenn

• Like 1

Solarez needs to be used outside (because of the smell) and I'm looking for something I can use in my basement. Thinking concrete sealer will have less smell and I can dip and hang the baits. My solarez baits that I use it as a top coat I put on a lure turner for about a hour.

I guess different brands have different smells but the AC1315 has way more smell than Solarez.

use the best you can get. many folks don't realize. the temperature fluctuations on musky lures due to geographic areas plays a part. in the northern half of n.a. temps go from 32-82 fareinheight. can create issues.. woods expand/contract.

Woodie is right, wood moves with temperature changes, so having a sealer that will move with it, in fact a whole painting system that moves with the wood is critical, and the top coat is the most important part of all.

The larger the bait, the larger the wood movement when temperatures change, unless it's an oily wood, like mahogany, and those oily woods are very heavy, and hard to paint.

The only foolproof paint system I found for wooden baits was using rattle can paints for everything.  Something about a solvent/oil based paint really penetrates the wood, and makes it almost bullet proof.  

But I found I was very limited in my painting options with rattle cans, so I began exploring water based air brush paints.

Most of them are designed for T shirt painting, so they remain flexible even after they've been heat set with a clothes iron on it's highest setting.  But they require too high a temperature to truly achieve the molecular change that makes them waterproof to make them practical for bait painting.  

So I found myself searching for a flexible protective top coat.

The only top coat that I found that really gave my larger wooden baits a chance to move without cracking was a decoupage epoxy, either E tex or Nu Lustre 55.  Both are designed to cover large wooden surfaces, like table tops and bars, and to move with the wood's movement.  Because they remain flexible, they also dented instead of chipping when I did a "lure test" by hitting a rock with my cast.  Always on purpose, of course!  Hahaha

Trying to make a wooden bait that won't move is impossible.  

The Egyptians used wood, driven into grooves chiseled into the top of blocks of stone, and then soaked with water so it expanded and split the rock, to quarry their building stone.

The concrete sealers should do well for you as a wood sealer.

Ben.. I didn't have a lot of luck using Solrez as a sealer..It would soak in the wood at different depths and cured the surface would be uneven..Now after the wood was sealed with a concrete sealer..then Solrez ..you would have a great surface to paint on..Nathan

MuskyGary, There are many ways to seal wood correctly. Some products that seal wood are not called sealers. Sealers usually are clear or semi clear, which will still require two coats of a white base coat before you start painting. For myself, I try to get sealed and white at the same time. It just saves a step and it keeps me from mixing different products and worrying about compatibility. Everyone wants their way to be the best, the chance of mine being the best is slim, but it works for me.  You just have to find a system that works for you. Musky Glenn

I've never experienced contraction or expansion with any wood I've used and my lures are subjected to some pretty extreme warm / cold conditions.  I've been experimenting with Titebond 3 waterproof glue the last few years and I'm going to stick with it because it's gets really hard when it cures after 3-4 days.  Prior to this glue I was using a high quality water based exterior latex primer. 

The trick is to leave the wood coarse prior to sealing.  The sealer, whether primer, glue or epoxies have more bite than if you sanded the blank smooth.  Rattlecan several coats over your sealer let cure for a couple of days, wet sand to a smooth finish, then you're ready for the paint scheme.

These are ready to be sealed.  One blank is mahoganey and the other with the hole is select cedar.  This select cedar is more expensive than cedar lumber but the grain is tighter and I don't have to contend with knots and wide irregular grain. 

Woodie I meant to tell you, the reason I don't use Honduran mahoganey is that it's not always available.

s56

P1020463.JPG

P1020462.JPG

P1020463.JPG

P1020462.JPG

P1020463.JPG

P1020462.JPG

P1020463.JPG

P1020462.JPG

P1020463.JPG

P1020462.JPG

P1020463.JPG