JRammit

Tu Tube

I simply have a lot of tackle.  I fished a lot for years (200 + days).  I was on the lake, a river, pond etc... all the time and for 4 years also on the water for classes doing  water sampling, contour mapping, typical fisheries stuff...  It was a passion of mine and I thought something I wanted to do as I had no wife no kids no responsibilities.  All I did was fish, study fish, eat fish, lol...    Fishing stuff was everywhere and I always found bargains and had money left over after paying for everything and putting money in my Roth, savings, etc... so I just bought tackle.  A lot of stuff was given to me as I knew/know a lot of people that have connections. ;)      Now I have a garage with crap stacked in the boat, on shelves, and in a closet that I cringe every time I step into it.  I have purged a lot but still have too much.  None of my kids show much interest in fishing but haven't given up yet (reason I kept the left hand reels)  As they get older they may be more inclined to go.  We went a lot when they were kids but fishing was low priority and swimming, catching critters, etc... was what we did mainly.  It just didn't transition over to fishing so far.

I understand the lefty issue. It is a hot topic in my house.   My wife suffers (and my middle child) from this disabling condition.  On top of this they are constantly discriminated against.  I have to point out I understand the difficulties of using a glass, cup, fork, door knob, etc... all designed for righties.  We can't even go to the movies as the popcorn is always right handed kernels.   I figure at some point my wife will give in and file for disability.  I tried that video clip and and got a good laugh trying it.  My hands are so stiff/sore right now from working in the shop more than usual.   I couldn't do it but closer with the left hand.

Travis - I understand the issues that your afflicted family faces, but the inconvenience will become milder with age. The trick is to practice using your right hand. Eventually you will become fairly ambidextrous. I played cornet for thirty something years, all the fingering is right handed. This basically showed me what was possible.

Precision operations, like using scissors gets done left handed. Scissors are right handed, so to cut to a line, you have to hold the scissors to your right and if the tool is molded then they feel funny. For lefties, it is what it is and we just get on with it.

In post 25, I meant 'if I lost my left hand' of course.

By the way, that exercise in the video was shown to me by a professional cathedral organist. I decided to learn it with my right hand and it took me two years or so. I actually cannot do it with my left. The only other person that I know can do it, is my eldest son, because he is as bloody minded as me and determined not to be out done by his Dad.

As for reels, I would master the RH reel in perhaps a couple of trips. At the moment, I swap hands to cast, as it is one of those precision operations, so learning a RH real would be an advantage.

Dave