jonister

Ac 1315 Troubles

I have been using it for a couple weeks now and have noticed that it still feels soft, like i can get my nail into it. on some it is hard but in the thicker areas on those baits i can get my nail into it and scrape off the coat. My problem at first was that the paint was not cured enough (i think) and it has gotten harder on those after a couple weeks. i recently just did a test on some bass wood, some sheet metal, and a popsickle stick. in the thinner spots it is hard on the metal and i can somewhat dent it on the wood, i think this is just because it is thin enough to push through to the wood(3 coats) but on the thicker drip spots say equal to 6 coats or so it is still soft and i can then from there peel up the coat. it is a little softer than etex in these areas. this is ok but i dont feel the coat would hold up to fish without say 6 coats or more even. oh, and on my tests they have been in a heat box for about 2 days now. thanks guys! anything will help!

When you open the can it is a clear liquid but that doesn't mean that you don't have to stir it up.  Shake the can up real well then open it and coat your bait. 
See if that makes a difference.  Seemed like the difference for me to get a hard cure.  I'm giving up on  it for other reasons, the wrinkled paint and the intolerance to soft plastic (after prolonged contact) make it too risky for me.

• Like 1

I am a hobby builder, and I would never use it for lures for sale.

I still use it, but I'm careful to use thin coats when painting, and also careful where I lay my finished, coated lures so they don't contact plastisol baits.  

I do put a clear nail polish barrier coat on the end of my rat baits where the soft plastic worms attach, and that keep the AC1315 from getting messed up.

I have found that using any paint with a solvent in it in my paint scheme, like Wicked Paints, makes wrinkling far more of a problem.

A barrier coat over the finished paint scheme of Createx gloss clear helps.

But there are some things to bear in mind if you are going to use it.

Dip, don't brush.  And don't use a lure turner, just let them hang and drip.

Thick areas keep the solvent in play too long.

Dipping and hanging my baits helps promote a thinner coat, and keeps the material from pooling in recesses and details.

I dip quickly, and let my bait drip off outside, over the dipping jar.  If it's a quick, thin coat, the solvent seems to flash off before it can wrinkle the paint beneath it.

And I use a hair dryer to help the drying along, once it's stopped dripping, and I've blotted any bottom drip residue off.  

It is not a process that any commercial bait maker could afford to use, but it works for me.

That is what i have been doing, and since i dont ell my baits or use soft plastics on them or in their tacklebox im ok. I will try some more tests soon when i get a couple more cranks done and can get to painting. i think i need to wait longer in between coats and shake/stir the can really well. Are you able to peel it off with a finger nail? Thanks for the input mark!

jonister- If you decide to try a different product, give kms diamond coat a try. Great stuff! All the pros of dick nite with less of the storability issue. If you do decide on dick nite be sure and use the link on this forum to get the discount......saves like half off if I remember correctly.

I will definatley try the kbs diamond or dick nite coats next. I would probably get kbs first as i wouldnt have to tap the can i think. 

Mark, try to get a good hold with a fingernail, and pull. On some it is worse than others. i think i am figuring it out and i need to wait the 4-8 hours in between coats. The softness is still there though. I have one lure currently though that i just dipped 7 or 8 hours ago and i will be dipping it again soon. hopefully this waiting will result in a harder finish. Patience. right? :wink:

• Like 1

It may have something to do with the solvent not being mixed in good. I had some old Dn that was getting thick and tried to use it anyway. I got it on the bait and it dried fine, but it peeled right off. The solvent has to penetrate the paint somewhat to make the clear stick.

• Like 1

I think the waiting did result in a harder coat. i will be trying it on a painted lure soon. im also going to try to get some Pledge floor care. Hopefully thay have it around me, if not ill order it. 

I have had troubles before with old concrete sealer, it never even got hard on me, lol. 

My AC1315 goes on over PVC, so the bait is already hard.  

I can fish them the next day, as long as I use a hair dryer several times during the first hour of each of the two dip coats.  I think it helps the solvent to evaporate more quickly, and the heat may accelerate any chemical reaction that is taking place, but I'm just speculating here.

When dipping it cold weather, I preheat my baits with my hair dryer, so they don't impede whatever chemical process takes place.

But I always dip and drip/cure outside.

I do it right in front of the opened overhead door in my garage, with a box fan blowing out from the back, when it's cold or rainy.  

If I can smell the solvent, I know something needs to be adjusted;  either the bait hanging location, or the fan speed, or both.

I will try pre-heating my baits too. it has been getting into the 40s at night here now and doesnt rise much in the day so sticking them in the heat box might be best anyways. I didnt get my hands on the Pledge but for now ill just try thin coats of paint followed by some gloss top coat. ill seee the results when i go to dip. Waiting longer in between coats worked well too, so that might have been my main problem. 

i dipped a painted crankbait and a old buzz bait in it a night ago. they both had some wrinkle to them but then again so did a crankbait i cleared with solarez so i might have needed to let the paint cure longer. as for the lures they both got a coat of createx high gloss before hand, and got hit with the heat gun multiple times. then then set in my heat box over night before getting hit again with the heat gun and emediatley dipped. They were both soft today still after probably 24 hours or so of sitting in the heat box. I gave them one more dip just now. If they dont turn out i am going to ditch the ac1315 and get KBS or something. i might give it one more chance and try some Pledge before hand on the lures but i cant seem to find it anywere so might have t order it. Im not sure though if i want to pay shipping on pledge or just get KBS.