mark poulson

Predator Bass Wiggle Wart Is A Salmon Killer

A while back I bought a bunch of Pred. Bass' wiggle wart knockoffs, with rattles, and painted them in a translucent shad pattern, for our gin clear SoCal lakes.  They caught fish.

Since I moved north to the CA Delta, I haven't had clear water.

So I decided to put some GloNation white paint over one of the translucent painted warts, and seal it with clear nail polish.

Well, it is very visible.  

I fished it for the first time today, and caught largemouth, stipers, and one Salmon!

My scale wouldn't hold on it's hooked jaw, so I didn't get to weigh it, but it was longer than my live well, and almost fell out of the net!

I caught it on 15lb BPS mono, on a med. lite Stacey King cranking rod that is 10+ years old.  It took me two minutes to get it up to the net.

At first I thought it might be a striper, until I saw it's tail.

A beautiful fish, released to spawn.

Oh, it did break one of the hooks off of the front treble, and the next fish, a striper, opened the rear hook's split ring.

I'm going to make another tomorrow, and retire the one I fished today.

It deserves a rest.

20151024_150241_resized.jpg

post-14932-0-71859700-1445738583_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Almost makes your net look like a minnow dipper!... Nice catch!

I dont know a whole mess about salmon, but i know we had kokanee in Colorado... Only one i ever "caught" was by hand... Poor thing was about a month early on the spawn, swimming on its side in the rocks..... I took it home and doctored it up with some butter and thyme.... Sad to say he didnt make it, but he tasted great!

Almost makes your net look like a minnow dipper!... Nice catch!

I dont know a whole mess about salmon, but i know we had kokanee in Colorado... Only one i ever "caught" was by hand... Poor thing was about a month early on the spawn, swimming on its side in the rocks..... I took it home and doctored it up with some butter and thyme.... Sad to say he didnt make it, but he tasted great!

JR,

When I finally got it unhooked, I wasn't sure it would survive.  I had put it into my livewell with the manual fill on, so I could get the hooks out without keeping it out of the water.  It took several minutes, because the #4 EWG treble was really embedded in it's jaw.

I left it in the livewell with it running, figuring I'd keep it fresher that way, since it was on it's side and then belly up.  But it's gills were pumping, so I waited to see what would happen.  It righted itself after about ten minutes, so I put some Rejuvenade into the livewell, just to help it recover.

By the time I released it, using my net, it swam away strongly.

Trust me, if it had died, I would have taken it home and eaten it, but it lived, and was returning home to spawn, so I ate frozen pizza instead!

• Like 4

JR,

When I finally got it unhooked, I wasn't sure it would survive. I had put it into my livewell with the manual fill on, so I could get the hooks out without keeping it out of the water. It took several minutes, because the #4 EWG treble was really embedded in it's jaw.

I left it in the livewell with it running, figuring I'd keep it fresher that way, since it was on it's side and then belly up. But it's gills were pumping, so I waited to see what would happen. It righted itself after about ten minutes, so I put some Rejuvenade into the livewell, just to help it recover.

By the time I released it, using my net, it swam away strongly.

Trust me, if it had died, I would have taken it home and eaten it, but it lived, and was returning home to spawn, so I ate frozen pizza instead!

Only in America

been using warts in the great lks. area .for yrs.  #one bass bait in most lks.but most folks forgot about them....they were the #one walleye trolling bait in erie when storm first started making them   and for some reason folks dont us them after the sale to rapala....big collectors pay big money for these baits older per rapala with the box.....funny...i talked to thereps at fishing shows and its the same lure....great bait....sleeper bass bait..

Kudos to Mark!  From the distance you took the photo, that Wart looks killer to me.  Speaking of the Glo Nation paint, the lakes here are cooling off and it's about time to break out my glow jigging spoons and go after the largemouth bass, white bass, and stripers here in the SE.  Probably my favorite time to fish - few boats on the lakes and our highly educated bass are gorging on shad and easy to fool.

The only issue I have with Mark is retiring a bait because it caught big fish.  I'd keep that Wart wet until it dissolved! 

Hey Mark, nice fish in really good shape.  They are moving up to spawn.  Check the regs before you keep one.  You can't keep one from the San Joaquin river side above the Antioch Bridge.  You can keep them below the Antioch bridge and on the Sacramento river.  Quite a few people throwing spinners for salmon from the bank at the Antioch marina and there are a lot of people troll for them up north of the Rio Vista bridge.  You will also occasionally catch a steelhead in the delta which I think you can keep any time of year.

Barry,

Cooch told me about the catch and release in the San Joaquin, where they don't spawn, and the catch and keep in the Sacramento, where they do.  Kinda bassackwards.

Bob,

That fish twisted the rear hook hanger almost 90 degrees, so I don't trust it to hold much longer.  I have several more that I'm going to "light up".

I'm also going to put it on some of my spoons.  Thanks for the idea, again.

fishon-son, it comes from predatorbassbaits.com.  Predator sent an old Wiggle Wart (pre Rapala) to a mold maker/producer in the Far East to have those blanks made.  They have gotten very good performance reviews from several guys here on TU.

Salmon love wiggle warts! As you can tell that king salmon had a liking to it. What is the difference in that glow paint(glonation) vs. other glow paints?

Honestly, I don't know.  It is the only glow paint I've ever tried (thanks again BobP).

I find I can mix their power into soft plastics, and it makes them glow, too.

I also use their powder to make glow in the dark eyes on my frog baits.

Glow Nation paint is strontium aluminate particles suspended in an acrylic gel base.  Its particles are large, too large for airbrushes, so it needs to be brushed on the lure.  I can't speak about other paints, have only used Glonation, but it has a very intense glow action because it contains more and larger glow particles than glow paints formulated for spraying.  In glow paints, it's all about the number and size of the glow particles when talking about intensity.  I can literally read a newspaper in a dark room after applying 2-4 heavy coats of Glow Nation green paint to a jigging spoon (it looks white in natural light, glows greenish white in the dark).  Is it easy to use?  Not especially since it has to be brushed and is a grainy gelatinous paint.  But it does level out somewhat and you can topcoat it with MCU or any other topcoat without problems, and it stays very durable in that configuration.  I might not use it on baits for customers (I have none) since it doesn't have that slick commercial look of other spray-able glow paints.  But it's my go-to finish for 3/4oz jigging spoons that I use in the winter for bass and stripers.  Glow paint comes in various colors, and each color has a different glow duration.  The greenish white is supposed to glow for 10-12 hrs and though I haven't tested that, I have no reason to doubt it.  No need to charge up the paint with any special light when fishing it in daytime, even on a cloudy/rainy day.  

• Like 2

@ vodkamen, i have been told by so many that salmon dont feed in the fresh (unless land locked such as the Great Lakes) but i have caught fish way up in the fresh full of baitfish, especially during our shad and smelt runs.

I heard a rumor that Rapala bought the lure and switched the rattles from lead to steel, and made their own molds. Brads lures supposedly bought one of the original molds and kept the lead rattles. i can hold up the 2 and tell the difference. Besides that other companies bought the old molds too. 

Congrats mark on the beautiful fish! Good to see someone releasing the Kings too. I might have to try the glow paint now!

@ vodkamen, i have been told by so many that salmon dont feed in the fresh (unless land locked such as the Great Lakes) but i have caught fish way up in the fresh full of baitfish, especially during our shad and smelt runs.

Im no expert on salmon.. All i know is they taste great!

But as for predatory fish in general, feeding is not the only reason for striking... Agression, aggravation, territorialism, curiosity and instinct.... In this case, perhaps instinct to eliminate any threat to eggs and/or fry..... Again, no expert, just a theory

• Like 2