mohawkman

A Little Charity Help

No, I'm not asking for a handout, however I am asking for some help picking out some lure blanks.

I would like to mention that I don't have a lure business and I'm not trying to get my name out there or anything like that. I just like to help out when I can.

My father in law introduced me to this really cool event for kids with cancer. They have a group of of bass fisherman with boats take about 30 kids out for a day of bass fishing. I was asked to set aside any lures that didn't turn out perfect and give those to the kids. I don't like that idea, plus all of my lures turn out perfect...hehehe. I want to give these kids some great lures that will catch fish.

My question is, what would be some good blanks to use? I would prefer to hand carve them but due to constant wrist pains, I won't be able to get that many done by next summer. I was thinking Predator Bass Baits Griffon SR or the Baby -1. I'm covering the costs myself and don't have a whole lot of disposable income so I'm trying to keep this under $3 per lure (total cost, hooks, eyes, split rings etc.).

Thank you and God bless!

Brandon aka Mohawkman

• Like 1

Brandon-  I end up making all my baits and havent' bought any blanks.  I would have no issues with Predator or the other usual ones.    

To be honest this is one of those things that you should have no issues with getting some support on, especially if you have any information on the program.   At 30 kids I don't think that is too difficult to come up with a single pack or plastics, a crank , or a spinnerbait, buzzbait, etc...for each.  I know you said you weren't looking for handouts but send me your contact information.  It won't be junk or used stuff. 

• Like 2

Brandon,   Around here i find that the 1.5 squarebill lures are great fish catchers.  Lots of small bass and big ones too they just get bit and are easy to fish.  They cast well and most of the kids will be using spinning type tackle to throw them on and they float so if it takes the kids a bit to start  winding them in they won't be hung up in the weeds on the bottom like a rattle trap type bait.  Generally they are not very expensive and I have found that they almost always run true.  Very consistent.  Put No.4 Mustad or Eagle Claw hooks and No. 2 split rings and cost will be minimal for a real effective bait.

The Griffon bait you mention may be similar in cost and performance.  Predator, Dakota Lakes, Bustin Bass Baits etc would all be good suppliers.  They may even help you out if you give them a call.  I can't remember which one but someone had blems and the blemish was very minor in almost every instance and was generally cosmetic mark on the plastic, untrained eye would not notice it and it would not effect the fishability of the lure.

Thanks for helping out these kids.

Barry

• Like 1