walleye warrior

Cleaning Lead Opinions

Hey Mark,

I can't say with 100% accuracy concerning lead since I haven't worked with lead all that much, but the way flux works with other metals is that as it passes through the liquefied metal it latches onto any impurities and brings them to the surface where they can be removed. In the case of some welding rod fluxes they can also remove gas bubbles as is the case with "low hydrogen" welding electrodes. By removing these gases any voids are removed thus making for a stronger weld material and in turn a stronger weld.

Ben

• Like 1

I use Paraffin wax when I start the melt, then use saw dust for the final and skimming.

That was and excellent read. The author talked about something most people don't think about is the "other metals" which have different weights (densities). If these metals are melted into a bullet it can change everything. So I think it's important in baits also. That's why when melting old lead material it's important to stay close to the temperature that lead melts, because most of the other metals are at a higher temperatures. Rayguy spoke of porosity (air pockets) which is a concern being trapped inside a pour of a final jig, bullet etc. where you don't see them That's why the author spoke of using beeswax during the casting of the bullets, I believe.

Take Care,

Dale