cadman

Do-It Herring Head Underspin Mold - #3510

Leatherhead,

Welcome to Tackle Underground. Thanks for the reply. I have been browsing the i-net, and noticed that this mold is really course on the inside. I believe these are sand cast, however I've seen some poured heads, and they look really rough. Are your poured heads smooth or really course?

Cadman, so far they have come out smooth. I think the key is getting the mold hot. during a pour, i will have some that dont pour all the way. I then reheat the mold. So far  so good. before i had this mold, i used an ultra minnow mold that i had modified to accept an under belly wire. It worked good as well.

Im new to this... but if you need some ,I can make them for you if you dont want to buy the mold and components. I can make them for you at whatever the materials cost so you can get them to your customer.

I'll let you know, and then we can discuss the particulars via PM's and e-mail. Thank You for the offer.

• Like 1

I've been casting this mold since it became available.  

Components fit quite well.  I'm using VMC Barbarian jig hooks in it with great success.

There's a lot of detail on the heads and they look quite good coming out of the the mold.  I've got some of the largest size sitting on the bench waiting to be painted if you'd like some pictures.

Components fit quite well.  I'm using VMC Barbarian jig hooks in it with great success.

There's a lot of detail on the heads and they look quite good coming out of the the mold.  I've got some of the largest size sitting on the bench waiting to be painted if you'd like some pictures.

Yes, you can PM me some pics. PM sent

Post them here, if it's okay with Nate.

• Like 1

Leatherhead,Thanks for the pic.

I do have a question for you guys that have this mold. I see the bottom wire form has the opening to the back where you slip on the barrel swivel or ball bearing swivel, can you make the wire form opening face forward? Reason being, it would make more sense doing it that way then having a possibility of the swivel and blade coming off if the wireform is not closed properly. Just an observation. I also noticed that the finished head is somewhat smooth, so that is good for painting.

Cadman- I have the same thought every time I see one of those. Seems everyone has the opening facing the least ideal way. With the opening forward it would have less chance of losing swivel and blade. I would think it would fit either direction but I don't have the mold so I don't know, but curious myself about that.

Tom 351, Thanks for the info:

"yes, you can turn the opening to the front."  Well that is good to know, we are  so used to see things one way,never understand why we just think outside the box.

"they come out of my mold pretty smooth, although the nose as cast does seem a little lumpy."   I have a mold ordered, so we'll see how mine pours.

"only thing i dislike is to pour the 5/8 you have to tilt the mold when pouring or it wont get down to the hook keeper." I've had to do that in the past, no bigee for me.

On related note; I am not happy with the standard blade clearance and would like to know if a homemade wire can be extended out through the bottom of the mold

the wire is pretty much pointing at the nose of the next cavity, except on the 5/8... the 5/8 can be extended...the others are only about 1/8th of an inch from the next cavity...

Edited by tom351