ravenlures

3D Molds

I was looking at a vid of a 3D printed aluminium project only yesterday. The surface finish was very rough. This would make casting a hard product like resin a definite NO, due to demolding problems. Casting soft plastics would be fine, except for the surface finish.

Dave

Has anyone tried to make a mold made of aluminum on a 3D printer for pouring resin into it. A 2 piece mold would be nice. I was just looking at printers and the prices are down, can't say if they can do the job, that's why I am asking.

Actually in the process of doing this. I'm going to 3D print the lure master and make a silicone mould from that.

I'll be using a professional printing company to do a print using stereolithography so that it's highly detailed and smooth.

I will not print the actual mould, becuase it will be large, so expensive. It's best to do a master lure and make sillicone moulds for production.

Edited by Slimy Salamander

Just some feedback.

I had an aluminium mould made as well as 3D printed masters from the same lure designs. There are two sizes of the same lure design, small and large.

The aluminium mould is far superior, it's cheaper, it's smooth, highly detailed and ready for production. The mould is for 2x small and 2x large lures.

For the 3D printed masters I went with PolyJet resin, because it's one of the 3D printing technologies with the most amount of details and best smoothness, but very expensive.

The 3D printed masters (1x small + 1x large only) were more expensive, not smooth at all as claimed and I still have to make rubber moulds from them, so it's not production ready upon arrival. I also waited longer for the 3D printed masters.

Conclusion, don't bother with 3D printing it's not not that great and I highly recommend getting an aluminium mould machined from your 3D design.

Edited by Slimy Salamander
  • Like 1