Whitts

One Piece Open Pour Molss

Hi guys. Im hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice on how to pour into a one piece mold? I have recently been given two fluke type molds but am struggling to get the plastisol to run into the tail? Should I heat the mold before? How do I get a nice finish on these baits?

Jig man nailed it.  Thin continuous streams with controlled actions will have you pouring open cavity molds in no time with no over pours.   Once you get it down it really is easy.  It just comes down to practice.  There will be some molds that you can get away with filling an area and letting it flood into other areas but not a technique that can be used on all molds and also works better as the mold warms some.  Warming a mold isn't needed in my opinion and usually for open pours ends up being trying to make up for a short coming on the users technique/ability with pouring.

I have two fluke mold from LC. There is two ways to pour this thing that I know of. Start at the tail and pour to the front. I pour from  the front to the back. Use a very small stream and fill very slow. Make like a wave and very slowly push the wave to the tail. Take your time. Good luck.

One thing I've learned with open pour molds is to try and keep them level, or they won't fill evenly.

Also, the cooler your plastic when you pour, the less shrinkage you'll get, as in hollow back.

I usually pour half a dozen 5" swimbait 2 cavity molds at a time.  I line them up in a long row, head to tail, and fill one line of cavities at a time, so any drips are on the way to the next cavity and not on the side of the bait.

If the plastic gets too cool, I stop and microwave it for a short burst, and finish my pouring.

For laminates, I do one row at a time, so the plastic will bond.  It's a little more trouble, but the results are better.

You can also flood the mold and over pour it with real hot plastic,you will then have to trim the lure of the flash

The fluke is definitely a tough one given the small, narrow tail.  This is the method I used until I got so tired of trimming that I learned how to not overfill.  LOL.  It takes a ton of practice to get that smooth, final flow into the tail, but you'll get it. 

• Like 1

The fluke is definitely a tough one given the small, narrow tail.  This is the method I used until I got so tired of trimming that I learned how to not overfill.  LOL.  It takes a ton of practice to get that smooth, final flow into the tail, but you'll get it. 

When I say over pour I dont mean too much but I found it a whole lot faster when your pouring large orders for customers to trim the bait than to pour a slow stream of plastic into every mold,just my way to speed things up,I know how to pour all these molds but just a whole lot faster with great results,just another way to do things

• Like 1