NCSUBVET

2-3-4 OZ Ultra Minnow

So I got my brand new Do-it 2-3-4 Ounce ultra-minnow mold in and a hundred pack of the required 8/0 hooks.  Like a kid on Christmas morning, I poured about 30.  They can't be serious.  These hooks are way too big for the bucktails.  Maybe the 4 oz is OK but the 2 and 3 look ridiculous and hair I have barely makes it to the curve on the hook.  I searched the web and found an old thread on this forum where some of you more experienced jig makers were discussing changing up hook sizes for this mold but my sense was that the search was ongoing.  Have any of you figured this one out yet and are willing to share?  I would hate to fill in the hook grooves and re-mill them with a dremel but that's kind of where I am here.

I use 5/0 hooks in the 2oz.,   6/0 for the 4oz., and either hook for the 3oz.   A little work with and exacto razor knife on the post so it fit the smaller hook eye. I found the flash on the hook shaft to be at a minimum.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fshng2 said:

21xdc could an entire jig mold be made with this stuff & be used to mold lead?

I've made a couple of molds for the lures I normally make (off shore trolling) out of red silicone but I found that it gets slimmy after 4 or 5 pours.  These lures are my main-stay:

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NCSUBVET said:

I've made a couple of molds for the lures I normally make (off shore trolling) out of red silicone but I found that it gets slimmy after 4 or 5 pours.  These lures are my main-stay:

Thanks for the info NCSUBVET.

By the way gorgeous work! 

The pics of the lures, are you making them or you are making lures that look like these? I have seen some different Jab lures in person and liked them. I know guys that have a mold for this lure head, and then buy the material to make parachute rigs out of them.

Something else I do you may want to think about...on the minnow heads, I buy the rubber squids and install them onto those jigs. You can get all kinds of colors and different lengths. I only use a Glow Squid. Works great during the day, but seems not to good at night. Must be the fish think they are radioactive and stay away from eating them lol.

6 hours ago, BLT said:

The pics of the lures, are you making them or you are making lures that look like these? I have seen some different Jab lures in person and liked them. I know guys that have a mold for this lure head, and then buy the material to make parachute rigs out of them.

I make them from scratch.  I start with brass tubes and then pour lead to form the insert and then decorate the insert, pour resin (normally two colors) and then turn them on a lathe.  I buy my rubber skirts from Cousin's Tackle.  Very time consuming process but it's the only way to get the right result.  I just started 2 years ago and have only been to a couple of events but have received some nice comments from folks.  Here's a little walk through the process. 

IMG_1010.JPG

process.jpg

IMG_1161.JPG

• Like 1

Wow. I guess that is time consuming. I can see you have some real talent in this process. Congrats on putting these skills together as there's not a lot of guys doing this. I think it's the first time I've seen it and always wondered how these were produced. Thanks for sharing with us and I look forward to see more of your work. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 9:05 AM, fshng2 said:

NCSUBVET

Could a two half mold be used?

This way the rear of the mold would be cast as a finished shape to eliminate a process step?  In addition the head could  also be molded close to the finished shape to reduce turning time.

Yep.  Most pros (the good ones)  use a soft mold that gets the shape right but because I pour two colors, it's hard guessing the first layer.  Some guys out in Hawaii have it dialed in and produce some pretty work.  I may go ahead and make some masters too eventually but right now, its just a hobby that I enjoy.