ravenlures

Clear Lips

Leave the protective coating on as long as you can.  Try not to scratch them up in the shaping process but it will happen anyway.  This works for clearing the polycarb lip before installing into the lure.

For more info look up "Flame Polishing"

Try a butane torch, any small torch will do.

Grasp the lip by a section the will be inserted into the lure body with small forceps or pliers and run the flame across the surface with a light reflecting in from above that highlights the scratches.

A quick pass over the whole surface will return the polycarb surface to like new.  Repeat for the back side as well.  The flame will be in constant motion and only on the surface for a few seconds.  You sill see the scratches go away before you eyes, and at that point you are done with that side.

Cautions: Practice on some scrap and work quick.  Do not linger or you will bubble the surface and create more scrap.

Practice, and good luck

The lip is the last thing I install  before clearcoating and I wrap a piece of painter's tape over the tip so I can hold the lure with locking forceps while applying the clearcoat.  I like to hold the lure with forceps while undercoating and painting too, so I have some "false lips" that I friction mount in the lip slot while doing that.  They're pieces of scrap lip material with a little tape wound around them.  I drill holes in them so I can hang lures on nails above my workbench to dry while painting, etc.

Wayne--Try dipping them in latex--I bend and stamp my name in mine before I even get near assembling them, this sometimes takes it's toll on the finish ---- unfortunately for me latex will not stand up to the heat while bending / stamping them so I have to put up with any imperfections. :blink:  :wacko:.

Pete

I never heard of "Flame Polishing"  so I will try that, I did use dipping in acetone and it would fog in some places. I do put the lip in last, the ones with the protective  paper are always the best  but some I purchase are without it. One other thing is that I am cutting the lip slot last since I went to plastic so I hang them from the tail. I  even tried spraying them with clear coat it just doesn't look that good. Dipping in KBS good on small lures but musky lures not so good.  I will look into "Flame Polishing" .

Thanks guys

Wayne