Tiderunner

What went wrong?

my first attempt at making a laminated senko (red shad) started out ok.  The first pour came out perfect. After that something changed.

In the first photo you see the red absorbed the black, or so it seems.

Second photo is beyond all explanation. The rings around the black side of the senko don't exist. Bait is completely flat on one side

Third photo shows once again the red seems to have absorbed the black and the red is missing at the tails. Only the black part partially exists.

you can also see some flashing around the edge of the bait as I loosened the clamps up a bit on the mold thinking that may be the problem,

Just made it worse.

Recipe is for both colors 4 oz med plastic maroon lurecraft color for the red. LPO for black  3tablesppons extra fine salt per color.

teaspoon of softener and a couple drops of stabilizer.

I heat my molds and injector first. Microwave my plastic.

Mold is Do-It CNC 5" senko mold with a laminate plate. plate and mold are held steady in a small vise while injecting. Seems the more I pour the worse my baits get.

Seems the problems began when I added enough salt to close in on the 10.2g that I measure in a senko.

Weight of the completed baits was 9.7g

Any insight? Advice?

absorbed black.jpg

flat ribs worm.jpg

imcomplete tails.jpg

If you're using a laminate plate temp isn't as critical as when using a twinjector.  The usual cause of what you're showing in the pics is the first half lifting when the second half is shot.   When you cut the sprue off the first half, cut the nose of the bait at 45 degrees (angling back from the bottom (round side) towards the top (flat side).  This creates a "ramp" for the second half of the plastic to flow up and on top of the first half (while sort of pushing down on the leading edge of the first half).  Also, your second shot should be slow and steady to help prevent lifting (even with the cut I described).

• Like 1

And the lami plate saves you a lot of wasted plastic in the sprue. You could just hand pour the first side which in my opinion is a little faster.  Also, you won't get as much problems with lifting if you don't pull the first side out of the mold and then put them back in (like making a bunch of the black half first and then going back and doing the red) the plastic sticks to the mold and won't lift as badly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FATFLATTIE said:

Also, you won't get as much problems with lifting if you don't pull the first side out of the mold and then put them back in (like making a bunch of the black half first and then going back and doing the red) the plastic sticks to the mold and won't lift as badly.

I never even considered he might be doing that, good point.  I always shoot the first half, lift and cut the sprue, slap the other half of the mold on and shoot the second color. 

• Like 1

Ok...So I tried all of the suggestions here. Checked temps, cut sprues at 45*, I had never molded one side then removed and added back and repoured the other half.
My success rate was about 50%.
Not much better than before.

The cutting to 45* helped increase success. But-

I decided to try pouring halves removing them and replacing to pour the other half.
Strangely, that actually worked pretty good. Would I make a habit of doing that?
No.
But it worked- better than I thought it would.
For a laminate I've only tried to make a red shad. The nice thing about that color combo is you can take all your boo boos, and remelt them, and you still get black.