datguy.dev

My DIY fish stringer

Greetings,

I wanted to make a fish stringer because I tend to DIY everything I can. I went searching around the internet for ideas. I didn't really find anything that either looked very functional, or appealing, or required say drilling into a metal rod. Also needed something portable as I usually hike into lakes. So I had a ago at it and I think I have something both easy to make which doesn't require any special materials.

It just requires some cord and wire (16 or 18 gauge are apt). Then whatever on the end to prevent the fish from coming off; I used a bobber. The bobber also helps managing and protecting the needle. You could use a keyring or something like that. I like the float because I also kayak fish and I need to make sure the fish don't get hung up while I'm moving.

The process is very simple:

1) Find a nail or something that is a tad bit smaller in diameter then the cordage.

2) Wrap the wire around the nail and get about 5-10 wraps making them as uniform as possible. I used jewelers pliers.

3) Feed the chord through the wire loops you just made. It helps to melt the end, then pull the melted plastic with pliers to create a point.

4) Cut the long end of the wire diagonally creating a sharp point.

5) Push the sharp point through the cord from the bottom up. That makes the needle.

6) Melt the chord on the top and smush it down to make it look good.

7) Crimp the last wrap into the chordage.

That's it. The only thing I would note is try to make your wraps as small as possible which will make it much easier to insert into a fish's lip. Imagine putting panfish on it etc.

Cheers..

7tawRmR.jpg

fpZipzl.jpg

Edited by datguy.dev
  • Like 1