Vodkaman

What is a custom lure?

For me the definition is clearly defined in any dictionary as 'made or done to order for a particular customer'.

You cannot mass produce to sell a custom lure, by definition it is a one off, designed NOT by the builder but to the specification of the customer, be it the lure’s action, shape, paint job or any combination.

By agreement and/or contract, the custom is owned by the customer and is not for reproduction.

'Custom' is a word banded about and abused way too much on this site.

Let the heated debate begin!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Okay looks like no one wants to play.  LOL. 

I agree that it is "made or done to order for a particular customer," but do not necessarily agree that it cannot be resold.  Now I wasn't a custom lure guy, but more of a custom color guy.  If I made a custom color, some guys were very hush hush about it and of course I would only make it for that particular customer.  Some guys actually told me that I should add their custom color to my website so ordering it would be much easier for them.  In either case, I would always ask for the customer's permission before selling to the public.  I imagine, however, when talking about a custom "lure," entirely different story. 

• Haha 1

I'm in line with what Hillbilly's definition is. The 'design' may not be wholly the customers idea because frankly speaking many of them don't know what it takes to build a successful lure, but they may give you details about the specific qualities they want in the lure. They may give specifics for size, color, sink rate, action, etc. and then it is up to the builder to design something that can achieve that to a certain degree.