eastman03

Epoxy reacting to one colour

So this is a new one for me. Honestly not a big deal as the lures (not the rainbow trout bottle opener) are just for me to beat up and made with different weights and lips to test. So even the paint schemes were done pretty minimal. 
I checked on the final epoxy this morning and thought oh boy, I must have contaminated the lure because the epoxy was very blotchy. Especially the second black and green one.  I wasn’t particularly careful at all. 
I also thought maybe I torched them a bit to much? Although I didn’t think I over did it.

the paint was dry as it had been at least a day since any of them had been painted and heat set. 
As I inspected the two bottle openers and five lures I epoxied it was pretty evident that some of them finished very well. Like the two bottle openers (phew, I had spent more time on those for sure). And the two orange lures were pretty much flawless. 

On inspection, it was clearly only the black areas on the other three lures where the epoxy had been blotchy.  It was jacquard airbrush acrylic paint, which I’ve used before. Even the green stripes on the worst lure (second from bottom) was pretty smooth compared to the horrible black stripes where the epoxy pulled away and globbed. Anyway, like I said, I’ll throw another coat on and they will be ready to fish for myself. 
It really pays off on my quality lures to go the extra step for getting a good finish. Like on the rainbow trout bottle opener, I prepped for epoxy by spraying the surface with polycrylic. And ensuring that once the wood work was done, the surface was kept clean. 
anyone ever seen this happen?

52CC8FC6-DFAB-41B7-9EBD-439F3D4FC8AB.jpeg

1EC8AD57-A16A-47EC-9DF8-8FF5DB8F1D0E.jpeg

Yes, I posted about it some weeks/months back.  It happened to me, also with a black.  Specifically, Created Wicked Pearl Black.  I sprayed many coats of it to get the deep, shimmering, pearl black look that I wanted.  The end result was a surface that was so slick that the epoxy had difficulty adhering to it.  A quick shot of rustoleum x2 clear coat on future uses of that color has eliminated the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally remember you saying now that you remind me. Yea I’m pretty sure a quick clear with something solves this problem. I’ve never used the rustoleum stuff. Might have to try it too. Thanks. 

how fast does that stuff dry? Like how soon after would you clear coat roughly?

9 hours ago, eastman03 said:

I totally remember you saying now that you remind me. Yea I’m pretty sure a quick clear with something solves this problem. I’ve never used the rustoleum stuff. Might have to try it too. Thanks. 

24 hours to fully cure, but I will paint over it in 12 hours, if it feels dry.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, eastman03 said:

Not entirely sure, but I leave it sit at least 24 hours just to make sure the VoCs are all cured out.  Due to my work schedule with my day job and other goings on in life, there's typically 18-20 hours between each step I perform during the week.

• Like 2

One thing that I was happy about so far with these lures is that this was the first run I tried with the slot on the top method, just for kicks.  And I was worried about there being a noticeable line down the top.  But without any of the hook hangers in the way, plus some epoxy as a base coat, it easy to sand, and is as smooth as can be (minus the black paint/epoxy issues).    The hook hangers on the bottom came out pretty clean as well.   It's a bit of a pain, but overall, not tooo much more of a pain than a regular slot method.  I think of all the methods, the drill through/fig 8 hook hangers, is still probably my overall favorite.  But they all work, and have their merits. 

• Like 1

Yea, it crossed my mind as well.  And I wouldn't totally rule that out. But the bad areas were the opposite of the tape.  Like I tapped the gold glitter area, and the green area and painted black around the tape.  So the residue would have been on the spots where the epoxy was good.  And I didn't use tape at all on the all black back one in the front of the pic.  

• Like 1