RiverSmallieGuy

Favorite Carving Knives

9 hours ago, Travis said:

I have always used Flex cut: cutting, roughing, detail, pelican and mini pelican.   Not much complaints just find the handles to be comfortable and keep a edge well.

I have heard those are very good knives. I am used to the utility knife though. Definitely going to try a FlexCut sometime.

Braden

I've used flex cut knock offs (probably not quite as good quality as flex cut).  All knives dull, even good quality ones.  if you don't have the means to sharpen blades back to razor sharp, go with a knife that holds disposable razors.  So, even though I have a few carving knifes, I often end up grabbing a razor blade knife because it is always razor sharp (its hard to sharpen a blade with a curve) lol. 

The Lenox that was talked about is very good, it holds the blade without it wiggling.  Some of the razor knifes with the snap off blades also wiggle around which is annoying.  I have used the Milwaukee folding razor knife  - but its blade release is kinda right where i like to hold it when I'm doing details, so i didn't like that too much.   

lol so after all that rambling, my answer is I'm not sure yet lol.  I use several different ones.  Depends on the purpose.  Very different when carving small scales vs rounding out a block to roughly shape it. 

I also use multiple knives.  My favorite carving/whittling knife to date was some sort of small, folding Gerber knife.  Had a short (2.25") blade and was very comfortable in the hand.  Unfortunately I lost it while canoeing...

Now I either use one of a couple utility knives or an older Mora knife (from before they became Morakniv).  Like Eastman03, I'm not set on anything, and will hopefully try some new stuff soon.  I guess it gets down to whatever is most comfortable, available, and practical.

Plenty of knives will work.  I wouldn't get too caught up on brand to be honest and concentrate more on a price range as far as quality.   Sharpening is just something you will pick up in no time.  A good knife edge retention is really good and a loaded strop about all that is needed.  

As a kid I carved a lot of odds and ends with a simple Old Timer Minute Man knife.  In college carved a few things with it, various utility knives, and scalpels from my dissecting kit.   None compared to carving knives once I got a few.  I have had Ramelson, Mora, and several no names.  Just ended up with Flex cuts based on comfort and price (at the time).

My next purchase with be some Hock blades and make my own handles.  I have really been pleased with the Hock Irons on some of the hand planes I made years ago with regards to quality, edge retention, and sharpening.   

https://www.hocktools.com/products/knives.html 

The Perfect Edge is a very solid book that is filled with information if you are more into understanding forging, sharpening, etc..  I keep a list of these type items for anytime someone is asking about possible gifts to buy me.

https://www.hocktools.com/perfectedge.html