Thiskidlikes2fish

Building process

Ummm, the process depends on a few things; 1. the tools you have access to, 2. the kind of crankbait you are building, 3. the kind of wood you are working with. Since I only have one power tool, which is a drill, I will share with you my process.

1. Sketch or glue lure shape on wood

2. Cut shape out roughly with coping saw

3. Rasp wood down to accurate shape

4. Sketch the tapers (if not flat sided)

5. Cut the tapers roughly with the coping saw (if not flat sided)

6.  Rasp down tapers to accurate shape (if not flat sided)

7. Sketch chamfer lines onto lure

8. Carve chamfers with utility knife and chisel

9. Sand every surface to 220 or 400 grit sandpaper

10. Drill eye sockets with brad point or forstner drill bit (optional)

11. Cut lip slot then Sketch and Carve gills (optional)

12. Make lure through wire, do not cover wire slot until lure is weighed and lip is installed (optional) or use screw eyes, cotter pins, or twisted wires and glue them into lure with epoxy or super glue.

13. Weigh lure after drilling lead hole

14. Cover lead hole after weight is in place (if not through wire)

14. Grab a piece of circuit board or Lexan

15. Cut out lip shape then file down to accurate shape

16. Chamfer lip edges (optional)

17. Install lip into lip slot with adhesive of your choice

18. Seal lure with polyurethane, super glue, sanding sealer, or any other suitable wood sealer.

19. Test lure, make any necessary modifications

20. Paint lure

21. Clear coat lure

22. Put hooks on and go tear em' up!

Braden

First what type of tools do you have, then what type of wood can you get, then if no tools then RiverSmallie way will be good to start. I myself turn or cut out of cedar to try fishing then if working how I want it I will either make more or switch to bass wood for a final lure to make a silicone mold to make as many as I want.  Size will make a difference to what type of wood, I myself make most out of cedar because I am into Musky baits but Bass also, from 4" to 12" so there is a wide variety of where you want to start. Lots of guys here to help you along just ask.

Wayne

So to start of I have quite a few tools a table saw, miter saw, belt and disc sander as well as a lot of hand tools. I have access to basswood the easiest but am going to order some balsa soon and have access to a lot of others.pretty I have made crankbaits before but really struggle with making a consistent step by step process and mess some baits up.I was mainly looking to see other peoples processes to help me make my own.

The way I learned was watching YouTube videos by Engineered Angler Lures, Marling Baits, Solar Baits, and zimmtex. Due to my lack of tools, I had to adapt the methods they used to the tools I had at hand. You may also want these woods: cedar, pine, and poplar. Maybe maple if you are making enormous lures (13-16 inches). All of those woods are phenomenal for lure building.

Braden

• Like 1