RiverSmallieGuy

Lipless Crankbait Theory

I have made lipless crankbaits before, and have experimented with how to lessen the thump that they have so that you could get the lipless crankbait action that the fish like but have it subtle for clear water conditions. What I came to, was making the flat surface of the head that lipless crankbaits have and making it concave. This removed a lot of the thump that the baits were having and made it far more subtle. The lure I tried this on was 2.5" long and had less thump than a 1.25" lipless crankbait that had a flat, non concaved head that you usually put on a lipless crankbait. The 2.5" bait was a slower action and you could fish it slower. The baits were carved out of basswood. It would be really cool if Vodkaman could create a hypothesis about the vortices that cause these changes because I know very little about vortices but Vodkaman pretty much has a Ph.D in hydrodynamics haha.

You are doing two things. Creating a little more drag on the "lip" and then directing the water over the back of the lure and not over the sides as much.  Creating more stability and the lure stays in a tighter path.

Think of tunnel hull design boats and kayaks... more stable and track straighter.

Lipless baits already have very little side to side action so doens't take much to reduce it further.  I fish a lot of 3/4 oz. traps after ice out and slow roll them just barely keeping them running. 

Edited by Travis