Lee

getting started

Howdy all,

I am new to bait-making in general and I have never poured my own plastics.

What do I need to know to get started? Where can I get supplies? whats a reasonable "starter" set up?

Any help from you guys would be great. I am not looking to go into production, but my partner and I go through powerbaits like poop in a goose and we need something to do while the bays are frozen.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Hi Lee,

Lure Craft has a neat little starter kit which costs about 30 bucks. It comes with a variety mold, a couple pints of plastic, colors, and pouring pans. I always recommend this kit if you've never poured before. You can call them for a free catalog at 1-800-925-9088. There are a billion different products you can use in your plastics, but it's best just to start with something simple. Once you get the catalog, feel free to drop a post with any questions.

Good Luck :)

Chris

Chris did hit that one on the head. Thats how many people start. MF plastics also has a starter kit. But I think its a bit more expensive. I have used Lure crafts plastics and stuff for a while and find it easy to use.

If you have a microwave, I would recomend using it instead of the pouring pans. Just get a pyrex measuring cup, 6 oz of plastic is ready for pouring in about 3 min's.

Glad to have you stop by and take part.

Jeff

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback so far.I will call Lure Craft in the AM.

Keith,

I am right on the Willamson border. Port Bay is my stomping grounds. ( we have a cottage there) I pulled a 4lb-11oz largemouth out on the 4th on a Berkley Power Lizard. As I said before, it gets a little 'spensive for the ammount we fish. Any way you can help would be great. Hell, I'll buy you a burger at Orbakers!!!!!!

Lee

Lee, I'm pretty much fishin' out of the same boat as you on the "new to pouring" issue. I got my stuff from lurecraft and like it so far. Considered the kit idea, but decidied to assemble my own to fit my needs.

Some things to consider; kits come with PINTS, the learning curve begs for QUARTS. Especilly with tube dipping, even the right angle/horizontal type mandrels. Quarts are also easier to shake and mix will watching TV than a gallon bottle would be. Kits come with molds of various single styles which are good for variety, but bad for practice. Much nicer to have the style of mold you want with several of the same cavity for it allows you to get the feel of pouring that type of cavity faster. The colors are alright with kits, but how about something like watermelon or perhaps a pearl color? Glitters?

Yeah, you can buy these additional to the kit, but by the time your done you've built you own kit. I think you'll understand this when you browse the lurecraft catalog or website. Have fun. jrav

Hey Lee,

Jrav is right on the button. Didn't mean to steer you in the wrong direction. If you're not in a big hurry, get that catalog, then take your time and choose the glitters and colors that YOU want. Heck, if you're anything like the rest of us, you'll be buying more stuff from Lure Craft in no time anyway. There were times when I thought about just signing my paycheck over to them. :lol:

hmmmmm.... makes sense! Thats why I come to you guys. Are any shapes harder to pour? I like worms, lizards and the"hawg" baits. My partner is worms exclusively. It seems the"crawly" baits would be a little tougher to pour. Am I all wet?

I am really gassed up about this. I want Lure craft to fly my crap to me!!!!!! Al, I feel your pain.

Jrav, I will gladly take the bumps with you on the whole start up.

If you come into any "holy-jeez-dont-do-that's, let me know, I'll do the same.

Lee

I've been watching this thread with interest as my 'starter set' is in the mail.. Yeah I'm going to start pouring platics too. Should be interesting 'cause the soft bait craze hasn't really caught on up here in Western Canada. I've been experimenting with a few things I've found locally, and the fish seem to like 'em, but the selection of baits on the shelf is dismal.

I'm looking foward to learning how this is done, and I know this site has some really talented pourers who can answer all those newbie questions. :D

Lee,

I'd recommend pouring just straight worms (wide cavity) or reapers when starting out. Reapers are about the easiest thing on the planet to pour. Even then, you'll probably spend a bunch of time trimming your baits. When I first started, it would take me 30 minutes to pour 20 worms; then I'd spend another 20 minutes with an exacto knife trimming the overpours :lol:

Don't get me wrong....it won't take long to get the feel of it; then you can venture into more challenging pours, like lizards, creatures, etc. I have seen guys who buy tons of stuff, only to have it sit in their garage because they expected too much too soon. My first few baits were some of the most God-Awful lookin' things you'd ever see :lol: It can be frustrating because it isn't as easy as it looks. Just hang in there and take it one step at a time. If ya get mad, walk away for a few hours, but don't give up!!

One more thing.....if you've decided to customize your first order, make sure you get the 536 formula plastic. The 506 is a bugger to mess with. It's a much harder plastic and very difficult to pour.

Holler if you have any more questions. :)

Chris

A reaper, huh? What exactly is that? I have never heard that term before. I kinda thought the 536 would be easier to work with just from the description.

I am getting my wish list together from the online catalog and I hope to put the order in by the weekend.

Any "must haves" besides the obvious? I am thinking a quart of plastic, a mold or 2, a few different color dyes, worm oil, maybe some salt. Hows that sound to kick it off?

Lee

Attached is a picture of a reaper. They're also known as a leech.

Sounds like you've got your order down. It's pretty much up to you at this point; your color preferences, flakes, scents, etc.

I'd also recommend buying a pint or quart of softener. I add softener to the 536 formula; usually about a 1/2 cup per gallon. I wouldn't buy salt from Lure Craft 'cause the shipping kills you on that. You're better off buying popcorn salt locally.

Hope this helps :)

Chris

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

4inreaper.jpg

99_thumb.attach

Forgot about the shipping. I read somewhere on this board that table salt run around a coffee grinder is good enough for the worms. True?

When is the softener added? You say 1/2 cup per gallon. Is that something that can ratio down? Say, if I mix up 4 cups of plastic?

Lee

If you are going to use salt in your lures, a cheap coffee grinder should be on your list. A discount store near you should have one for $15 or less. It grinds the salt till it is the consistency of powdered sugar. Mixes better in the lures than anything else I have tried. :D Lots of luck to you guys that are new in soft baits.

Cal

As Al stated, buy a few straight and simple molds (i.e. 4" and 5" Senko type, reaper, Zoom trick worm in 6" and 8" and maybe a 5" straight drop shot worm. Stay away from Lurecrafts more detailed molds (creature bait or those with curly legs or tails.)! Until you're familiar with pouring consistancy and added elements (salt, sand, metal flake), the appendages will come out poor.

Lurecraft prices for dyes, flakes, oil is cheaper than M-F, but I get glitter from my local craft store far cheaper and with fancy combos already mixed. Lurecraft sizes are the key for glitter. Small, medium, and large flakes as well as string flakes are offered in many colors.

Dyes should include chartreuse, florescent green, motor oil, florescent orange, bubblegum, white and any other favorite colors. Flor. colors must be mixed before heating. The catalog gives some helpful instructions.

Eventually you'll go to your local Walmart and pick up a 6 lb. bucket of palster of Paris for $6, some aluminum pans, vasoline and Modpodge glue and form your own one part and two part molds or most plastics you already own (except for the finely detailed stuff as mentioned.)

Tacklemaking.com has a complete guide to pouring your own and making your own molds.

One last thing. The price per gallon for the best plastisol made (M-F or Calhoun) is far cheaper per gallon if you buy the 5 gal. container. Buy it by the qt. and pay big bucks. In fact M-F is almost the same as Lurecraft per gal. but much better plastic for all the reasons stated in other posts.

Consider it if you become a pouring fanatic. Also, keep all your old plastics to remelt. Some color change may occur slightly, but just add a few drops of dye and make a new bait out of old. Mine are coming out bitch'n and catch fish as good as any store bought worms!!

Sam

Sam sure said it......

if you check out MF's prices, they want 46 bucks for 1 gallon, and 86 bucks for 5 gallons. That's pretty much a "no brainer" :lol:

Shipping is usually about 25 bucks for a 5-gallon jug, but well worth it in the long run.

As for breaking down the softener, like Sam said.....you're better off buying at least a gallon or you'll get killed on price. If you have to buy in a smaller size, just try adding a couple ounces of softener to start. I like my stuff SOFT, but some guys are okay with no softener in the plastic.

Chris

Wow! You fellas sure do pour in some volumes! I can see where your coming from on this with the quantity pricing and the manner in which it is structured. Interesting difference on the 1 vs 5 gallon deals. Once one gets more familiar with likes, dislikes, and needs, it does appear wiser to buy a bit more in quantity. Lurecraft has empty quart containers for 75 cents and with anything a gallon or better it might be easier to transfer after mixing. Can't see mixin' a 1 or fiver everytime I pour. That could get arduous and if lazy or hurried, result in bad/incomplete mixtures.

Just curious, does M&F have the case deal? Lurecraft has a 4 gal/78.49 with regular dollar price shipping. Not as good as the fiver, but it does save on some shipping. Even 1 gallon would go along way for me once the experimental stage is sorted out and remelts are considered. jrav

MF only offers the smaller sizes (pints, quarts), gallon, 5-gallon, and 55-gallon drums. Going with the gallon size is your best bet. I think my first gallon lasted like 4 months. It's nothing to go through that in a day now. It was tough to make the transition (1 to 5 gallons). I thought "Do I really need ALL that plastic???". I bought my first 55-gallon drum the other day. Bottom line is you'll go through it fast once you start learning a thing or two.

If you transfer your plastic into quart sizes, just make DARN sure the container is completely mixed. I made that mistake when I first started. Didn't know a thing about hardener settling, and I transferred into quart sizes. I remember calling Lure Craft and saying "why can't I get this stuff to gel??". They asked if I shook up the container before the transfer. I was a little embarrassed to say the least :oops: Just like everything else, I learned the hard way, but I'll feel better if I can keep one guy from making that mistake. :lol:

Chris

You guys are awsome!!!

Thanks again for all the help. I have not gotten my cataloge yet, but I havent seen motor oil dye listed. Am I just blind? THats my go-to color and am dead-set on finding it.

I will keep you all posted on how things go.

Thanks tons!

Lee