JayC37jigs

Molds different versions of same heads.

Ok.. So, I’ve looked and looked at different molds out there. I am going to use the poison tail mold as a reference. My question is… how are there different versions of the poison tail out there but to my knowledge you can only buy two different poison tail molds? Barlow’s has a version called spit jig with round bend hook that I like the collar and bait keeper better than the mold that I can buy. There  is also a person who makes one similar with a wire keeper. 
      So is Barlow’s spit jig a special mold that they collaborated with Do-it to only have it exclusively there?

I’d rather pour my own jigs. But I do like the collar and keepers on those two versions.

I have the Poison Tail mold and Barlow's version is close but if you look at the gill plate cut on Barlow's, it is on the head. Do-Its head doesn't have that, the cut is way behind the head. Also I've spoken to Do-It many times, and they have always been very understanding. For instance all the jigs I sell, I use Do-Its molds and in speaking with them many years ago, they didn't have a problem with me calling their Poison Tail jig the same in my catalog. So maybe Barlows spoke to Do-It and got their approval. Also there is nothing that keeps you from modifying their mold and making jigs. On the original Poison Tail mold, if you are going to make permanent changes, fill in the back ring keeper with JB weld. Wait for JB weld to dry, sand smooth between mold halves, file your  new bait keeper on the bottom of both mold halves and your done.  Also you can use a 30º round bend hook in the Poison Tail mold as well.

Personally, I think a jig with a wire keeper holds the plastic trailer a lot better than a lead keeper.

Finally, I have seen a lot of people copy the Poison Tail mold, make changes and had a mold machined.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cadman said:

I have the Poison Tail mold and Barlow's version is close but if you look at the gill plate cut on Barlow's, it is on the head. Do-Its head doesn't have that, the cut is way behind the head. Also I've spoken to Do-It many times, and they have always been very understanding. For instance all the jigs I sell, I use Do-Its molds and in speaking with them many years ago, they didn't have a problem with me calling their Poison Tail jig the same in my catalog. So maybe Barlows spoke to Do-It and got their approval. Also there is nothing that keeps you from modifying their mold and making jigs. On the original Poison Tail mold, if you are going to make permanent changes, fill in the back ring keeper with JB weld. Wait for JB weld to dry, sand smooth between mold halves, file your  new bait keeper on the bottom of both mold halves and your done.  Also you can use a 30º round bend hook in the Poison Tail mold as well.

Personally, I think a jig with a wire keeper holds the plastic trailer a lot better than a lead keeper.

Finally, I have seen a lot of people copy the Poison Tail mold, make changes and had a mold machined.

Thank you so much!!! That was a very informative and detailed answer. I very much appreciate that. I’ve modified some of my other molds. But I was just wanting to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I go back and forth of wether I like the wire or lead keepers. I like the bottom lead keeper on the hybrid grass jig (I cut off the top one) but don’t like some of the other lead keepers. I like the bigger skirt collar so it flairs out the inner layer of skirt material.

1 minute ago, Jason Diddle said:

Thank you so much!!! That was a very informative and detailed answer. I very much appreciate that. I’ve modified some of my other molds. But I was just wanting to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I go back and forth of wether I like the wire or lead keepers. I like the bottom lead keeper on the hybrid grass jig (I cut off the top one) but don’t like some of the other lead keepers. I like the bigger skirt collar so it flairs out the inner layer of skirt material.

If you go back maybe 10 + years or so, looking back at Do-Its catalog, I don't see a lot of jigs with wire keepers, they were all lead.  Maybe at that time it was easier for the customer to pour a jig  and you're done. You didn't have to worry about any other components to buy and fit in the mold. Now many guys do not like the lead keeper because it just doesn't hold and the trailer has to be stretched over the lead and many times it slips down after repetitive casting. Yes you can glue the trailer on the lead head, but now you have to contend with super glue and sometimes that could be a mess on the boat. 

Adversely many guys don't like the wire keepers because it really rips the trailer up when you pull it off, however I will say that it does hold plastic well. It is a personal choice and since you pour your own, you can make a very small lead keeper that holds plastic really well ( ie Do-Its finesse head), that works really well and you don't need to modify your mold for any wire keepers.

• Like 1