Stickman Baits

Propionate Quest

Been trying to find source/info for propionate pellets with no luck. I’ve found some that originate in China but there’s a lot of confusion as to what type of propionate ( for injection molds or not). Any information about this stuff will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has some that they are not gonna use I’d be interested in acquiring some. 

17 hours ago, Matt Moreau said:

Sorry I cannot help with that but on a side note.... Back in the day I made my own proportionate solution using plastic solo cups and the strongest (I think paint thinner) you could buy. If that would help you I could try and dig up that recipe. 

I think acetone was used.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I think acetone was used.

It gets difficult because guys use so many different things.  "Solo" cup gets mentioned but individuals were using various different plastics.  The same for the "virgin" lacquer thinner.  Those also end up being different chemical compositions depending on location and brand.  Reason so many hit and misses with the solo cup method.

Propionate was easier for most because they were sourcing the same product from Swede or Palmeto Balsa for instance.  Even then I was never sure what exactly propionate they were using.  I assumed cellulose acetate propionate based on the initial Rapala reference and coming a few sites across the pond with google translate.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, Travis said:

It gets difficult because guys use so many different things.  "Solo" cup gets mentioned but individuals were using various different plastics.  The same for the "virgin" lacquer thinner.  Those also end up being different chemical compositions depending on location and brand.  Reason so many hit and misses with the solo cup method.

Propionate was easier for most because they were sourcing the same product from Swede or Palmeto Balsa for instance.  Even then I was never sure what exactly propionate they were using.  I assumed cellulose acetate propionate based on the initial Rapala reference and coming a few sites across the pond with google translate.

Ahh yes thats it Travis it had to be "VIRGIN" lacquer thinner I think I used klean strip or something. 

On 4/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, Stickman Baits said:

I’ve tried some solo cups in acetone with no luck. 

Ya it was tricky...Travis has it though. It had to be the strongest lacquer thinner usually denoted by "Virgin" on the bottle. I remember it was one brand in particular that worked best and you had to add the plastic cups only a few at a time until I got the consistency of proportionate. 

• Like 1

I used prop dissolved in acetone a few years back.  Over the years there were two members who sold prop pellets.  One passed away and the other disappeared from the forum.  Some have used dissolved plastic cups but results depended on the specific cup brand and the specific solvent used, with many failures and cracked clearcoats.  And as far as prop goes, I’m not much of a fan.  It takes 7-8 dips to coat a bait properly and at least 24 hrs to dry.  Nothing wrong with the results but it’s fidgety to use and there are alternatives like MCU that are superior and faster.  Jmho

• Like 2

Stockman, with MCU you dip it or brush it on and simply hang the bait up for the excess to drip off the tail. Then the MCU reacts with moisture in the air to harden to a very durable, very clear and smooth finish.  KBS Diamond coat MCU seems to be the most popular brand now.  You can order it from auto sites or direct from KBS.