FERG DADDY

Clearcoats.............again

I promise this isn't the same old question.  I have a more specific request.  I've read probably close to every post on here regarding clearcoats, so I'm not just hoping someone will summarize the vast amount of information that has been shared here.  My question/questions.............what would you recommend for a large batch of musky lures?  I'm looking at doing approximately 15-20 lures at a time.  I don't want to say cost is not an option, but the overall quality is more important to me than the cost.  I apologize if this is too similar to all of the other questions about top coats.

The one you can apply multiple coats with and not have complications 

I have used Etex, a couple different uv resins and KBS. I have lost large batches do to diss functional spinners(or power outages)and I am done with it. Calling up customers after $2000 order went to crap because of it is not fun. UV resin doesn’t hold up and is a pain between coats. Even 4 layers it lifts and wrinkles after they have been chewed 

I personally use 5 coats of KBS and it holds up well. I have fed lots of lures to pike and to musky on a lesser extent without issue. Yes you still get hook rash but it’s on the surface. The only chipping I have had is from casting into rocks and often it’s fine. 

Personally if I increase the number of lures I make I will likely look into auto clear

But I can tell you epoxy like Etex and truecoat are most popular with guys building musky lures. Also a nice thick epoxy coat does look awesome 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FERG DADDY said:

I appreciate the comments and information that has been shared so far.  I look forward to trying the True Coat and paper towel trick.

Paper towel trick is for KBS and works because it’s a moisture cure

true coats will not benefit from it and would more likely have a negative impact 

40 minutes ago, FERG DADDY said:

Okay.........thanks for the additional response.........you likely saved me (and others) time and money with that.

I mentioned KBS in the post about the paper towel trick but I definitely don’t want someone to ruin lures by misunderstanding my post. 

that is the worst thing about a clear coat going wrong you put in a bunch of work before reaching that stage.

Like most of the above, I’d opt for KBS.  It’s clear, cures well, and yields a tough high luster coating.  Big plus:  you simply dip lures into it and hang them to drip and cure.  Optionally, you can brush it on and hang it.  I use several coats to build a very good coating.

2 hours ago, FERG DADDY said:

Anyone know a cost comparison between True Coat versus multiple coats of KBS?

Do you mask your lips when you dip them? That sounds like a funny question, but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

I don’t know the cost comparison as I haven’t used true coat so can’t speak there

I do make larger lures for pike and sometimes musky. One thing I can tell you is it would not be worth dipping because of the amount of KBS you would need. Brushing on is a better in the case of larger lures. Also with KBS thin coats are best so you have more control brushing it on. I don’t thin KBS when brushing it on but I have heard guys who dip often thin KBS.

Honestly the two are very different products and will give you a completely different look too. The thickness of your coat final finish will be very different too. The equipment/products needed is very different for use and storage 

One thing no has mentioned is KBS is a harsher chemical and I wear a respirator when applying it. Also it has a strong smell before it is fully cured 

In my opinion they are so different with positives and negatives that I highly recommend looking into all aspects of both products before deciding which is the right fit for you 

my opinion both are good but very different 

• Like 1