bait_wolf

lip sizing

I have looked and am still coming up blank. is there a rule of thumb for determining the size of lip for a crankbait? Say I want to make a wakebait, I know that I need a rather steep bill angle, but is there a way to determine proper length and width? also as I have been studying Karman vortex streets, I see that that creates lure action. Would a bait with a flat face that tapers back have good action, or would the taper cause the vortex to smooth and lose action?

In my early days, I looked hard for a formula for lip length and width, it was the engineer in me. But alas, I failed.

A sharp edge on the front face gives a stronger action, not so sure it is enough for you to notice.

The thing is that every feature affects lip length; length and width of back, position and angle of lip, position of COG, and any other feature that I fail to mention.

I make the lip a tad too big and trim it back until I get what I am looking for.

Dave

• Like 1

While I can get plenty of movement out of square style lips on a wake, there seems to be a point where if I make a wider body bait a coffin style is needed to get the action I want. More surface area to help push the bigger bait. 

‘When I say coffin I guess you could call them all that but I’m talking more of a harder taper to the mouth than your standard square/coffin provides. Couple examples. The baby rat in natty wood needed a real wide lip to scoot but the typical 3 piece I make (lizard pic) moves fine on the more traditional square style lip. 

IMG_7373.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

• Like 1

Will going slightly concave on the lip also increase wiggle? 

8 hours ago, mark poulson said:

My rule of thumb is wider lip, wider wiggle.  I think it's a water-resistance thing.

As I have perused the local shops, I have seen a few (generally deep divers) that claim a tight wiggle, but have a wide lip? Would this be more likely from being a deep diver or a function of body shape (flat sides) or even just the company's relative claim?

I like wake baits that I can wake, but that I can also pull down up to 18 inches on the retrieve.  I generally use a slightly larger lip than most and a little more angle to help pull it down.  Also, I like to keep the lip wide at the outside points of a short coffin style lip.  The wide corners will catch a tule on the retrieve and kick the bait away from the tule.  Helps me fish my wake baits thru sparse tules on the surface or under water.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2023 at 9:10 AM, barrybait said:

I like wake baits that I can wake, but that I can also pull down up to 18 inches on the retrieve.  I generally use a slightly larger lip than most and a little more angle to help pull it down.  Also, I like to keep the lip wide at the outside points of a short coffin style lip.  The wide corners will catch a tule on the retrieve and kick the bait away from the tule.  Helps me fish my wake baits thru sparse tules on the surface or under water.

Do you often make the corners of the lip wider than the body of the lure? Do you find that the extra width makes the bait work at a slower speed?

I make the lower outside corners or sometimes the outside edges of the rounded lip slightly wider than the body of the bait.  Probably 10 to 25% wider.  I originally modeled it similar to the 3:16 Wake Jr. bait and also the AC Plug Minnow.

It wakes well with a nice "V" wake in the water and makes a nice wood knock as it does so.  My lips are made from lexan by hand.  Sometimes with too much hard walk the bait is too clunky or mechanical.  It seems best if you can reduce it and make it wake more fluidly if that makes any sense.  If you get your bait all sealed up including the lip slot, you can test several different lips by taping the portion of the bill so there is a snug fit in the lip slot for testing.

Barry

• Like 1