clemmy

Regulations for shipping colorant?

Quick question: How does one ship colorant? I have a ton of colorant, almost all unused. I never was able to set up my shop due to health, and looks like now it won’t be possible. Anyway, I have about a 30 gallon tubs worth, mostly from MF, LC and Bears, but no clue what the shipping legalities are at this point. Has anyone looked into this?

Thanks,

Craig

2 hours ago, basscatlildave said:

I bought several lots from folks on here and Bass Boat Central and they double taped the lids and sent them USPS

None that I know of. Just make sure they’re securedAnd wrapped in plastic. 
Shipping costs have gone crazy so be warned ahead of time.

6 minutes ago, alsworms said:

The post office will ask you if there's anything liquid or hazardous.  My only concern would be keeping those little bottles from sloshing around. 

Been working there going on 45 years. We deal with broken bottles all the time. Hence my advice pack the bottles in plastic bag.

• Like 2

Your eyes were fine. And yes you were right, the PO will ask if you have liquid, anything hazardous, etc. Ibelieve there are stickers they use that say Fragile. Liquid, Handle with care. Or something along those lines.

A few years back I sold off a bunch of mold, glitter colorant . Shipped it from the northeast to the midwest. The liquid made it there fine.The buyer was not happy about glitter being everywhere. The box was crushed when he received it. And smashed the plastic bottles of glitter.

• Like 1

For starters you can test USPS but I wouldn't if they catch you they may not give it back.  UPS & Fed Ex will ship liquids.  I generally ship colorants a box within a box when possible.  I wrap it with electrical tape around the cap regardless if it's been used or not and then put it in a zip lock bag.  Most of the time if there's a problem it has to do with the lid.

I'd be interested in all of the Bears

2 hours ago, JBuff said:

For starters you can test USPS but I wouldn't if they catch you they may not give it back.  UPS & Fed Ex will ship liquids.  I generally ship colorants a box within a box when possible.  I wrap it with electrical tape around the cap regardless if it's been used or not and then put it in a zip lock bag.  Most of the time if there's a problem it has to do with the lid.

I'd be interested in all of the Bears

I’m over 44 years working for USPS never heard of a clerk confiscating a parcel due to liquid. Hazardous liquid maybe. I’m not even sure they’ll confiscate a kilo of weed if they do they’d keep it for themselves. So I sent a question to a friend of mine that handles that stuff. Here’s the answer. 

Non hazardous- ( anything that won’t ignite ) … hopefully not bio hazardous either - if smelly — be sure wrapped well/ double- non breakable container.. packed well.. don’t want anything to leak cause suspicion… when asked “ liquid , fragile, perishable, potentially hazardous, perfume , lithium battery, or mercury? You say yes - liquid- then they ask what kind ? So parcel should be given fragile sticker… and non hazardous.@

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:14 AM, Tiderunner said:

I’m over 44 years working for USPS never heard of a clerk confiscating a parcel due to liquid. Hazardous liquid maybe. I’m not even sure they’ll confiscate a kilo of weed if they do they’d keep it for themselves. So I sent a question to a friend of mine that handles that stuff. Here’s the answer. 

Non hazardous- ( anything that won’t ignite ) … hopefully not bio hazardous either - if smelly — be sure wrapped well/ double- non breakable container.. packed well.. don’t want anything to leak cause suspicion… when asked “ liquid , fragile, perishable, potentially hazardous, perfume , lithium battery, or mercury? You say yes - liquid- then they ask what kind ? So parcel should be given fragile sticker… and non hazardous.@

I had a conversation with David Alexander about it, he told me his postmaster chewed him out because one of his shipments leaked and made a mess.  He was told don't do it again, David shipped only UPS after that and even though it was more expensive at the time he said it was a relief to not have to worry about it.

• Like 1

I shipped 2 dozen bottles of colorant I never used from NY to MI via USPS. I electrical taped the lids, put the bottles in plastic bags and left the air in for a cushion. I also lined the box with bubble wrap and paper. Never had an issue. I'd also be interested in what you have to offload. Praying for your health man. 

• Like 1