Howell6304

Senko worms

I am extremely new to the bait making, and purchased my first couple of molds, the mold I purchased was a “Do It Senko”, I am using the black label “worm” blend from dead on plastic, after pouring the worms and allowing them to cure, I thought I would give them a try!!! There is absolutely no “simmer/flutter” when sinking, what am I doing wrong???

Not familiar with the Dead On Plastics worm blend, but to add some action to you stick baits,I'd add softener to to your raw plastic. Especially,if you've added salt.

If you haven't added salt ( I use glass sandblast beads and salt ) your bait may sinking too slow to add any action. A typical yamamoto senko weights about 9.5-10.5 grams. I fish deep water so mine will go around 11.5 grams.

When adding salt or beads. Then you absolutely need to add softener.

After you cure your baits, or even right after demolding, are the floppy? Wiggly sort of?

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 7:35 PM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I found that with stick worms you need to use soft sinking, or super soft and add a lot of salt until you get the sink rate you want.  

This.  But be aware the more color you'll need and even though the blend may be a "super soft", you'll still need to add softener. If you really want to get to know the weight of your baits get yourself a cheap digital scale from Amazon. One that can be set to weigh grams. I use MF plastic, and I find that I use 6oz of plastic, and add enough salt to raise the volume to 8oz. And remember to write your recipes down.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 1:37 PM, Redleg318 said:

BP sells crushed glass. Works good for me and doesnt weaken the baits as bad as salt. 

You need to use beaded glass.  Adds weight nicely.  I buy 10lbs. at a time.  I add same as salt. I take 6oz of plastisol and add enough glass beads to raise the volume by two ounces.  Softener needed but makes a nice floppy wiggly stick bait. And casts like a rocket.

The glass will score your injector, but after years of use mine is still fine and functional.

I replace O rings maybe once a year.

For glass beading I use 70-100 Ct 

1 minute ago, Redleg318 said:

The larger media created weak points vs the crushed glass powder. The powder can make baits cloudy though. 

Never had this issue. I have gone down as low as 320 grit. But it takes a lot more glass to achieve the desired results. As far as the medium, I've only used virgin glass beads. Some baits I've used half salt and half glass. Those were mostly senkos. Now I hardly use anything. I like being able to see the glitter in the baits. And colors are better too. I only weigh some senkos, and a wacky worm bait. I typically fish my wacky worm weightless, unless the water is over10'. Then I'll use a weighted wacky hook. My 5" wacky worms weigh almost as much as my weighted senkos. I've even been toying with the idea of using tungsten powder.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Never had this issue. I have gone down as low as 320 grit. But it takes a lot more glass to achieve the desired results. As far as the medium, I've only used virgin glass beads. Some baits I've used half salt and half glass. Those were mostly senkos. Now I hardly use anything. I like being able to see the glitter in the baits. And colors are better too. I only weigh some senkos, and a wacky worm bait. I typically fish my wacky worm weightless, unless the water is over10'. Then I'll use a weighted wacky hook. My 5" wacky worms weigh almost as much as my weighted senkos. I've even been toying with the idea of using tungsten powder.

Agreed, I fish weightless as well. Very rarely do I use salt or glass for my own baits.