Jig Man

Midwest Finesse weedless mold

I hadn’t used mine for several months until yesterday.  It is a stock mold and I am using the Victory hook that is recommended.  I am using hard lead in an rcbs heat furnace set on 750°.  I made 3 sizes of jigs and many of them has a run up the hook shaft.  I don’t remember it before.  I rarely change the rcbs setting, but may have at some time.

Do you think my lead was too hot?

Jig Man, I pour mostly hard lead in that mold in hopes of getting the keeper from loosening up and it doesn't help but I don't have lead going up the hook shank. Also I don't use Victory hooks. Couple things could make this happen.

#1 The Victory hooks are thinner than the shank cavity in your mold leaving a gap and the hot lead is seeping through. If you have always used Victory hooks, maybe a new batch and the hooks are thinner or maybe a couple of hooks are thinner in the current batch? Just guessing here.

#2 You have some lead or foreign substance on one of your mold halves that is gapping your mold causing lead to seep through.

On the latter, take a single edge razor blade and lightly run the blade across both mold halves. This might dislodge any foreign substance that you may not readily see. Once done check your pour.

On the first one, if you have a different brand hook check to see if you have the same problem.

Post your results when you find your solution.

• Like 1

Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't know they had a different Midwest Finesse mold. I don't have that mold. I guess you can still check some of the things I mentioned above.

BTW, how well do you do with that jig head? You can PM me as well. Thanks

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

Hi Jig Man and cadman. First I want to thank you both for readily sharing your knowledge and helping noobs like myself.

As for the topic at hand...I modified my weedless MWF mold to use VMC6317 in addition to the Victory 10777. I am not getting runs along the hook shaft with either. The VMC hook actually have a smaller shaft diameter (0.038" vs 0.040" for the 10777). I run my lead at 700F. So maybe 750 is a bit too hot?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cadman said:

Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't know they had a different Midwest Finesse mold. I don't have that mold. I guess you can still check some of the things I mentioned above.

BTW, how well do you do with that jig head? You can PM me as well. Thanks

I’ve switched to it for most of my Ned fishing, which is a lot from October to May.  A tid bit… While fishing a stretch in Piney Creek on Table Rock Lake I lost 15 Ned rigs as I don’t go into a fishy area to get a bait back.  After I bought that mold I fished the same water with the new head and only lost 2.  That sold me.   I also furnish heads for my neighbor since he springs for the gasoline.    (Those lost heads had a sevelon weedguard.)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I’ll check the mold and lower the temp, though I can’t go down much and keep a good flow.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, green said:

Hi Jig Man and cadman. First I want to thank you both for readily sharing your knowledge and helping noobs like myself.

As for the topic at hand...I modified my weedless MWF mold to use VMC6317 in addition to the Victory 10777. I am not getting runs along the hook shaft with either. The VMC hook actually have a smaller shaft diameter (0.038" vs 0.040" for the 10777). I run my lead at 700F. So maybe 750 is a bit too hot?

Welcome to Tackle Underground

Posted (edited)

Ted I checked for an obstruction with a single edge razor blade and didn’t find anything.  I’m going to drop the temp 50° and see if that helps.  I’ll report back.

If you want to try some let me know the weights and I will send them.

Edited by Jig Man

Posted (edited)

I went ahead and dropped the temperature to 650°.  My lead won’t pour at that temp.  Increased it to 700°.  It poured better but not perfect.  I might try a little bit of high temp silicone just behind the head.  Just enough to stop the flow but not enough to crack the mold.  If that works then I can go back to 750° and forget about it.

Edited by Jig Man