PrestigeWW

Next equipment purchase

I'm trying to see what my next purchase should be. I'm just starting out and got the bait plastics kit with 3 colors and glitter. I have a stick bait mold and craw mold as well.

I have everything needed to start cooking but am wondering if a vacuum chamber should take priority over more glitter/colors or another mold. I've been interested in open pour swimbaits like the AI G4.

1 hour ago, Bass-Boys said:

I would like to hear the answers to this.

I have been doing this for almost 20 years and do not own a Vac Chamber.

Yeah, I don't own a vac chamber either, never saw the need for one and like bass-boys, I've been doing this for over 20 years. You would be a LOT better off getting a good respirator. 

9 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Yeah, I don't own a vac chamber either, never saw the need for one and like bass-boys, I've been doing this for over 20 years. You would be a LOT better off getting a good respirator. 

I actually have one already too. I was reading too much about people having breathing issues after a while so that convinced me to get a pair along with some hi temp bbq gloves to protect my hands. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 4:18 PM, PrestigeWW said:

I actually have one already too. I was reading too much about people having breathing issues after a while so that convinced me to get a pair along with some hi temp bbq gloves to protect my hands. 

Gloves are good.  Just be sure they don't make you so clumsy you drop your plastic.

Like the others, no vac chamber. I don’t see a need unless you’re going through lots of plastic and selling. Maybe not even then. I remember when Baitjunkys sold Calhoun’s, he vacuumed his plastic just to make sure his customers got a good useable product as best he could supply. He was going through lots of plastic….so what’s in the Bait Plastics kit? We need to know that before we can really answer your Q.

• Like 1

I've been considering a vacuum chamber. I have been a fan of a certain supplier of plastisol for a few years now, and can no longer get my preferred brand which was already degassed and nearly bubble free. The other brands I've tried were bubble city. So to overcome this issue I will have to change brands, and vacuum. But this is only my personal preference. I'm fussy. What can I say?

That said if I were just starting out, I'd invest money in molds of the baits I use most. Stickbaits, craws, are a good start. I do like that G4 mold, but I prefer the FGF mold that reproduces a Keitech type ribbed swimbait. Then of course for a hand pour you may need the addition of a hot plate. Plus I can make 8 baits at once rather than one using the FGF injected  mold. I also have an AI mold where I can make 8 non ribbed swimbaits. I also have tail molds so I can change things up a bit if I want.

How about laminate plates for your stick bait to start out with? That may lead to a dual injector in the future. There are all kinds of things you can invest in before a vacuum chamber. One of the best parts of this hobby is you can go crazy getting the things you want. Become an artist. Add colors, textures. If you do it right eventually you will be just like the rest of us. Lots of glitter we never use, colorants we can't remember what they're for. Through the years I'd say that's part of the fun of it.

Getting rid of bubbles can come later. After 30 years I'm only just starting to think about a vacuum chamber. I'd probably have one by now if the dang mold makers would stop coming out with new molds!

• Haha 1

I have over 150 molds that I’m not using but haven’t been motivated to catalog and put up for sale.  If you are looking for any particular molds, let me know and I will sell at 1/2 retail, OBO. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Painter1 said:

I have over 150 molds that I’m not using but haven’t been motivated to catalog and put up for sale.  If you are looking for any particular molds, let me know and I will sell at 1/2 retail, OBO. 

I'm interested as well! Sending message

On 5/13/2024 at 3:37 PM, Painter1 said:

Nice! I just sent you a message. Thank you for offering.

13 hours ago, Painter1 said:

Sorry guys.  I’m taking care of sick wife. Will get it done when able

Sorry to hear this. I thought you were prolly real busy. Praying for healing and a speedy recovery for your wife.

• Like 1