JBuff

Lets talk Blue

I make sapphire blue jig trailers & also black blue flake worms  with sapphire blue tails. I also make some baby shad style  crappie baits that have   a light blue top & some that are sapphire blue bodies with a chartreuse tail. Blue works great in what few baits i use it in. 

I use only phtalo blue. Kind of a florescent blue.I make a laminate with blue flake, and the other half is black wih blue flake. While I'm not a user  of this bait my son is. He slays 'em with this combo

. Oh yeah...this is a 5" stick bait.

I just start using blue craw colorant to make yup, craws.

My first impression was" this color sucks" till I hung up to cure. The blue came through in the light. Not in the light they looked brown. Haven't used them yet but I should grab a few small mouth with them. I also made a laminate crawof blue craw/orange. Again, when I demolded " this color sucks". When I threw them in a water bath. The entire color changed. I really like the combo. Again, a small mouth bait for me.

I do need to get a regular blue colorant though. Just to make some usual blue black laminated baits without flake.

As a primary there's 2 choices to infuse blue in a laminated bait colorant or hi lite.  Application in process allows for blue to accent or be dominate. If you make baits with blue for Bass blue to us is not blue to them.  Blue was and is tricky for me because I focus on the true color a one time heat and done.  I have 3 blues  Bear's Marine, MF Blue Craw and California Blue from Lurecraft.   They're all different in how they cook up, IMO the MF is the best because I can multi task it, cooked it's awesome, a color I can't arrive at with either of the other 2.   

On 6/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, basscatlildave said:

I do a Blue Plum and it's killer down here. :yay:

Is your Blue Plum a commercial color, or one you made yourself?

On 6/4/2024 at 4:00 PM, JBuff said:

I have 3 blues  Bear's Marine, MF Blue Craw and California Blue from Lurecraft.   They're all different in how they cook up, IMO the MF is the best

I can't seem to find the MF Blue Craw, or maybe it was never put on the website? Is it similar to the DOP Blue Craw?and I'm guessing that Bear's Marine is a relic?

On 6/4/2024 at 8:15 PM, Les Young said:

pithalo blue

On 6/3/2024 at 9:24 PM, Tiderunner said:

phtalo blue

Strange word to spell.  Phthalo is short for Phthalocyanine

12 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

Is your Blue Plum a commercial color, or one you made yourself?

I can't seem to find the MF Blue Craw, or maybe it was never put on the website? Is it similar to the DOP Blue Craw?and I'm guessing that Bear's Marine is a relic?

Strange word to spell.  Phthalo is short for Phthalocyanine

I don't know when MF discontinued the Blue Craw just love it.  The Bear's is a relic for sure bought it in 2011 the last 2 oz bottle I have unopened and I shake it from time to time.

I did an experiment over the winter. I had bought a skirt mold. Made some blue/black 5" stickbaits, and using my hot knife attached the skirt to the top of the stickbait. I threw everything but the kitchen sink at those bass, and became the king of pickerel. My son tied on a blue/black stickbait with a blue skirt, and nailed a 3lb LMB. not bad for a day with 15mph winds.

I also have firetiger stickbait skirt combos. Twin and single tail grub skirt combos. May even make a few craw skirt combos.