Ogajiga

Powder Paint Chipping

I don't paint, but have an expert provide me with that service - base color coat + clear glitter top coat - oven cured.  Altho the even smooth finish looks perfect, the paint seems to chip easily.  No bouncing off hard surfaces on casts, maybe an occasional bottom bump on slow retrieves.  Is this normal?  Would another top coat provide more durability?

Depends on what you are throwing it at. If the jig was properly cured, then paint chip will be to a minimal. However if you throw it against rocks or drag it for 20 to 30 casts then yes the paint will abrade and chip. You can take your jigs and clear coat it with Devcon 2 Ton epoxy. That does help a lot to keep it looking good, however after awhile the epoxy will start to wear down and then you will have bare paint again. I think you will be happy with the epoxy clearcoat. If you need more help you can PM me here.

Can you provide some info about the paint and curing process that your guy does?

I fish a place called Table Rock down in Stone County.  I oven bake my powder coated jigs for 15 minutes at 350°.  I rarely have chipped paint.

When I powder coat jig heads i powder coat up to five colors on one jig head with one heat application. When when I hang the jigs in my gas ovens I have side by side big twin door ovens with fan built in so it evenly push the hot air around the jig head and it make the powder paint swirl over the heads. Every jig head has a different swirl  pattern to the jigs head it you add more the one color dont just start the oven out at 350 to cure the jig heads. Start the oven out at 250 degrees for 15 minutes it starts curing the heads at a lower temp it starts setting up the powder paint. Then move the heat up to 350 degrees and it will give a very smooth shiney hard finish. I do this to all the baits I build. I dont have problem with with chipping bo matter what structure im fishing. Another few tips dont use a fluid bed to dip you jig heads. And dont use a small paint brush to add extra colors after your base coat. Ive been powder coating. for over 25 years now and never run into powder paint chipping after it cured right.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the sharing.  I don't know what kind of powder paint my guy uses, assumed Component Systems as the trusted original developer.  I think he mentioned oven curing at 325* due to the lower melting point of bismuth-tin alloy est 350-390*.  From the posted comments sounds like 350* might be necessary for proper hard cure?

I will try a clear liquid top coat to hopefully mitigate the chipping problem.

52 minutes ago, Ogajiga said:

Thank you for the sharing.  I don't know what kind of powder paint my guy uses, assumed Component Systems as the trusted original developer.  I think he mentioned oven curing at 325* due to the lower melting point of bismuth-tin alloy est 350-390*.  From the posted comments sounds like 350* might be necessary for proper hard cure?

I will try a clear liquid top coat to hopefully mitigate the chipping problem.

Just so you know, bismuth has a very low melting point and it is difficult to powder paint and then cure the powder paint. If I remember correctly, bismuth melts around  520 degree, which is a far cry from lead. It also depends what type of bismuth alloy you have.  Finally, bismuth is very hard and if hit with a hammer it will crack apart.  I can see now why you are having problems with paint chipping. I think 350 degrees will be too hot, depending on how long you have it in the oven. From my past experience with bismuth, you have to use a lower heat temp and keep it longer in the oven.

• Like 1