The Jig Is Up

Slow Falling Micro Jig

Hello all,

I am trying to build a very specific kind of jig, to suit the kind of fishing that I do in my region.

To be specific, I'd like to build a weedless micro jig that has an extremely slow rate of fall, like you'd see with a 1/16 oz weedless ballhead jig with a finesse TRD trailer on it.

I like the rate of fall that said 1/16 oz ballhead jig has, but I want a jig that is more suited to come through grass. The 90-degree eye of my ballhead jig snags grass a little too easily.

To be candid, I would go with the Snootie Jig hands-down, since it goes through grass so well. However, that jig only goes down to 1/8 oz, so I'm not sure if it would fall slow enough for what I'm looking for.

Any ideas for a weedless jig that fits those requirements?

I have been brainstorming this jig for some time, and have yet to find one that exactly ticks all the right boxes.

Thank you!

Edited by The Jig Is Up

Pour the 1/8 oz Snootie jig in tin. More than a third less weight than lead.

Lead 11.342 grams per cubic centimeter

Bismuth 9.87 grams per cubic centimeter

Pewter 8.5-9.5 grams per cubic centimeter

Tin 7.265 grams per cubic centimeter

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@cadmanThose are both amazing suggestions. I have never poured with tin before... I assume that requires a dedicated hot pot... I may have to give that a try.

The Bat Jig is another incredible suggestion. That jig does not come with any kind of weedguard, but I think tying a wire weedguard in would be fairly trivial to do.

The Do-It Walleye Head Jig (WHJ-7-AR) is kind of in the same boat - no weedguard slot, but it has a nice streamlined design and goes down to 1/16 oz.

Edited by The Jig Is Up

It’s easy to make a weedguard slot.  All you have to do is cut a piece of wire just bigger than the weedguard, tape it in place, put the mold. In a vice and tighten it down.  I have several molds modified this way using Sevalon or Surflon wire in 25, 60 and 90#.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Jig Is Up said:

@cadmanThose are both amazing suggestions. I have never poured with tin before... I assume that requires a dedicated hot pot... I may have to give that a try.

The Bat Jig is another incredible suggestion. That jig does not come with any kind of weedguard, but I think tying a wire weedguard in would be fairly trivial to do.

The Do-It Walleye Head Jig (WHJ-7-AR) is kind of in the same boat - no weedguard slot, but it has a nice streamlined design and goes down to 1/16 oz.

On the bismuth or tin, all you have to do is empty your current pot of  lead and put in the tin or bismuth. If you are going to do a couple of jigs for samples, take an old tablespoon or a small ladle, put a small chunk of tin, and heat the spoon/ladle with a torch and pour it into a hot mold. You can heat the cavity of the mold with a torch to to warm it up as well. Tin has a low melting point about 425 degrees lower than lead. I don't know how strong it is though. Bismuth is very hard, as I have poured bismuth jigs for the guys in Massachusetts. On the jigs, the walleye jig has a 90 degree hook, so I don't know if that is an issue for you. The other two are 60 degree hooks. You can incorporate a weedguard slot like Jig Man mentioned it is not complicated.

• Like 2