Tiderunner

String Glitter

Was scrounging through my supplies the other day looking for a silver hologram glitter to replicate fish scales and I found a jar of string glitter I didn't even know I had.  Decided to give it a try. And never used it before. Was making paddle tail swimbaits. Heated my plastic first, then added the glitter. Awesome! It was perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Plastic was clear and the glitter was awesome. Ok reheat time. Imagine my disappointment when after reheating to just under 320* the glitter totally disappeared. Disintegrated. This has only happened to me one other time, When using white glitter. Which I haven't used since.

I will continue using the string glitter, but I will only cook enough of what I need to make one run. I have done this and so far so good. Heat plastic to 360 or so, let it cool, then add glitter.

Anyone else have this experience?

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 12:44 PM, Apdriver said:

The other thing it did was when the glitter lost its color, it turned the whole batch into a crappy color I didn’t like. Almost like a tin color. Think ugly tin roof. I ended up tossing it all. 

Or some old lead chimney flashing.I know exactly what you mean. When the first run comes out, it's awesome. The shine is incredible. Then comes the reheat, and bleh. Add it to the pile that is used to make more black. It's a shame because the shine from this stuff is intense. Just small batches.\I guess is the way to go.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, osprey outdoors said:

I've only had white glitter disappear on me and that was the first time heating. Silver string glitter I haven't had a problem with.

White glitter sounded like a good idea when I bought it. I've used it maybe twice, now it collects dust. Add that jar to all the other I experimented with and never used again. I put it right alongside the bottles of colorant I've experimented with and never use.