Finatic

Glow Salmon Spoons

I really appreciate all the info on the forum...I'm new here. I live in the PNW and want to figure out a way to get lasting glow powder onto a salmon spoon. I've tried mixing glow powder into and epoxy and nail polish, however the powder clumps up and won't apply properly. I intentionally bought a coarse grained glow powder for extra glow power so I don't think it will go through an air brush. I'll attach a pic of what I want to create for reference. Any help is appreciated. 

Glow Cop Car.png

Using a white primer or basecoat help to make the glow brighter , try using a 15 minute or longer curing epoxy . Then mix in your pigment and stir well ( trying not to get crazy with air bubbles ) 

Glow enamel works great I just hate the smell , good luck !

8 hours ago, swimb8s said:

Using a white primer or basecoat help to make the glow brighter , try using a 15 minute or longer curing epoxy . Then mix in your pigment and stir well ( trying not to get crazy with air bubbles ) 

Glow enamel works great I just hate the smell , good luck !

White basecoat is a good idea.

Thanks guys! The white base coat makes a big difference. I found a brand of epoxy that cures slower and applies alot easier. NowI just have to make sure it's durable enough to stand up to salmon teeth.

I built a bunch of glow jigging spoons by painting on 4 coats of acrylic glow paint.  The paint had large glow grains so couldn’t be airbrushed but large grains = more glow.  It leveled out pretty well and I topcoated it with moisture cured urethane.  These spoons proved to be very durable and the glow is strong enough to literally read a newspaper in a dark room.  They catch bass great when I go deep jigging in the winter.

Do any of you have experience running the glow powder with clear Createx through an airbrush? I know it's been discussed on the forum. I bought 50 micron glow powder so it's super coarse. I read somewhere 30 micron will go through an airbrush. Any thoughts?

I would heat the spoon then use my powder paint airbrush with some protec super glow powder paint.

Hang in your toaster oven to cure as you would with a lead jig.

If you need a crisp line try masking tape.

It holds up to a heat gun.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Like 2

The brand of glow paint I used is out of business now.  I really recommend using very coarse grain paint because it will glow much stronger.  Particle size is every thing.  I’ve seen commercial air brush glow painted lures and they’re pretty dim in comparison.  If dim is what you’re after, fine.  I’m just saying.

• Like 1

I'm down a rabbit hole now guys haha, but thanks for the help. BobP I'm really happy with the glow powder I bought, it shines brighter 45 mins in a dark closet. It's really coarse and you're right it's the way to go. I just need to apply it smoothly now. Kasilo, I'm looking at getting a Badger to apply the powder paint. I'll keep you posted on the results. My buddy got a tank of a chinook today on one I made so I'm getting there. I messed up putting the scale tape on and it looked terrible but turns out the fish don't care. I think he bit it because of the glow! I wish I could ask. 

GPTempDownload 8.jpg

• Like 2