JayC37jigs

1/8 oz poison tail jig fiber guard???

Hey, I’ve only really ever used the 1/4 and 3/8 oz cavities on my poison tail mold. I’m always trying different things and seen it says an F-12 fiber weed guard for the 1/8oz.?? I looked at “an online store” seen they have f12’s but then it has another selection drop box that say 0.018 or 0.024”.?? What is the difference? I’m just trying to figure out which one would go with the 1/8 oz poison tail if I wanted to try it??? Thanks

10 minutes ago, basscatlildave said:

I use the .024 but have used the .018. There ain't a lot of them but they work fine for me.  I thought I would like that little jig but I really prefer the 1/4 ounce for a small jig. 

Yeah. That’s what is was curious about. I like the 1/4. I just wondered what kind of movement I’d get out of the 1/8.

1 minute ago, cadman said:

I like the .018. Reason being (just my opinion)the bass doesn't have to chomp down as hard on the jig, and the softer weedguard will depress easier to reveal the hook point quicker.

Thanks everyone. Good information. That’s what I was asking for your opinions from those who have tried them. Always good information 

1 hour ago, JayC37jigs said:

Yeah. That’s what is was curious about. I like the 1/4. I just wondered what kind of movement I’d get out of the 1/8.

1 hour ago, cadman said:

I like the .018. Reason being (just my opinion)the bass doesn't have to chomp down as hard on the jig, and the softer weedguard will depress easier to reveal the hook point quicker.

1 hour ago, cadman said:

1 hour ago, cadman said:

Thanks everyone. Good information. That’s what I was asking for your opinions from those who have tried them. Always good information 

1 hour ago, cadman said:

Ok.. then what are you guys using for a base pin??? Or to put in the mold in place for the weed guard hole???

1 hour ago, basscatlildave said:

I use the .024 but have used the .018. There ain't a lot of them but they work fine for me.  I thought I would like that little jig but I really prefer the 1/4 ounce for a small jig. 

Ok.. then what are you guys using for a base pin??? Or to put in the mold in place for the weed guard hole???

There are several ways to do your weedguards for all the jigs that take an 1/8" pin, I would suggest using teflon pins like mentioned. For the jigs that have a smaller weedguard hole, you can use smaller diameter teflon pins if you can find them. Now if you want to use a jig that has a 1/8 " pin and you want to put in less weedguard strands, then you can use a reducer. Please contact me via PM and I can explain this easier. I do not like heavy weedguard strands(personal preference) so all of my jigs have 15 (.018) strands.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Go here - PTFE Wire Contenti 179-020-039-GRP | Contenti  -  Order the 5/64" diameter wire and make your own pins. I've been using this stuff for a few years and it works perfect!  BTW, the 5/64" is 0.078" for the PTFE wire.

Curious with that website if you have to buy a certain amount and how shipping is. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks