JayC37jigs

Favorite mold for bucktail jigs hand tying

I’m looking for a mold that can do several things. I want a balance jig head that is good for casting a bucktail. I would like it to be universal so if I don’t want to use bucktail I can put a curltail grub on it. I’d like it to have an eye socket on it for eyes. I’d like to be able to use different size hooks in the mold. Ranging from walleye hooks to bass size hooks. I have many molds. I’ve been looking at a couple that fit this description. Please give your info and opinions.

I know this isn’t the fly tying section. However, my idea was to make some bucktails for bass and walleye using my lead molds I have for bass fishing. I figured some of you may had tried this at some point. Any good or bad reviews on the idea. Or suggestions? I hand tie my jigs. I just haven’t tried bucktail yet.

When I tie bucktail I like using either silicone skirt material or round rubber in fine or regular grade and use bucktail as and accent in different colors. I like building and tying finesse jigs one ive been building 39 year now is Lions collar jig in all type of head design I just added the viper head the mold has been around since 1971. I acquired it from a gentlemen from southern ca. That has several very large  bass from southern ca lakes back in the 70s & 80s using bucktail jigs.

Lions collar brown/orange buck tail

facebook_1726057284121_7239608971021718042.jpg

22 hours ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

When I tie bucktail I like using either silicone skirt material or round rubber in fine or regular grade and use bucktail as and accent in different colors. I like building and tying finesse jigs one ive been building 39 year now is Lions collar jig in all type of head design I just added the viper head the mold has been around since 1971. I acquired it from a gentlemen from southern ca. That has several very large  bass from southern ca lakes back in the 70s & 80s using bucktail jigs.

That looks really nice! I usually hand tie silicone or rubber. I’m thinking about trying buck tail. I am trying to figure out if it matters what kind of Jig mold I use for tying buccktail as far as how it falls in the water and the balance and flow of the jig. 

9 minutes ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

I would check out some of the videos that Smalljaw puts out on YouTube!

That way you could look at several different molds in a finished bucktail jig and decide from there.

https://youtu.be/aqogLBDN3Cc?si=juNJfFQJ49C4eh7E

LOL! I already watch his videos. I’ve watched them for years. I was just wanting some opinions and or advise from a group of people to see what their thoughts and opinions on the subject was.

On 9/11/2024 at 8:41 AM, bassjiggin1955 said:

Why did they stop making that mold? Can you still find them? Is there a mold somewhat like that available now?

While it would be easy enough to get a mold maker to replicate the viper head I don't believe it meets the criteria the OP is looking for.

Not only is it not readily available to purchase its not a universal jig.

Meaning it is not designed to also accept a grubtail as he posted about.

While I do own a few bucktail molds I don't tie or fish a lot of bucktails so I'm probably not the best guy to recommend a mold for them.

4 minutes ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

The mold was design for buck tail jigs and pork trailers uncle josh and the perverse owner of the mold had formula for making his own pork trailers.

Yes, but it still doesn't meet the criteria the OP is looking for.

It has nothing to hold a grubtail on as he stated was also a requirement.

And as you previously stated it is not available for him to purchase.

So where is he going to find a mold to make the viper heads for himself?

Sure Shawn Collins makes some that are similar. But, not exactly the same and they are not cheap.

Spend $180+ for a custom mold? Or perhaps a $56-$75 mold from Do-It, Hilts, or Lil' Mac that also accepts a grubtail via wire keeper or lead barb?One from those manufacturers that you can purchase off the shelf at anytime would be a better choice IMHO!

2 hours ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

I use twin tail yamamoto 4" or 5"  grubs I have  problem with the grubs slipping down on the viper head. They work just fine for me.They a a great jig for heavy structure. Rock brush piles trees isolated rock and brush mixed together. 

But, where can a guy buy this mold?

That's the part you seem to be ignoring!

If the mold isn't sold anywhere then it doesn't do him any good.

What good is a jig he can't get a mold for?

This is a tackle making forum. One where we buy the molds and such to make things ourselves!

Unless the viper head mold is sold somwhere it's NOT going to work for him!

• Like 1

It not hard too have custom aluminum molds made. I have several custom molds. I have two open eye blade bait molds in 3/8oz. & 1/2oz. And two spinnerbait molds in 3/8oz. & 1/2oz.   And two buzz bait molds in 3/8oz & 1/2oz. All custom made. There not that hard to have built. If your serious about building custom baits you'll have them made no matter what it cost. The viper head is a new addition to the custom molds I already have.

4 hours ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

It not hard too have custom aluminum molds made. I have several custom molds. I have two open eye blade bait molds in 3/8oz. & 1/2oz. And two spinnerbait molds in 3/8oz. & 1/2oz.   And two buzz bait molds in 3/8oz & 1/2oz. All custom made. There not that hard to have built. If your serious about building custom baits you'll have them made no matter what it cost. The viper head is a new addition to the custom molds I already have.

No, custom molds are not hard to have made and, I do own my share of them.

But they are not cheap.

A brand new Do-It mold is $56 and can ship today.

A custom mold is easily $180+ and will likely take a few months to arrive.

Plus the viper head still does not meet his minimum requirements that he listed in the first post.

There's no keeper for a grub tail, and there's no eye sockets.

Why compromise on those, and pay 4× as much money for the viper head?

I sure wouldn't.

There are several Do-It molds that do meet those criteria at a much better price point.

Or a stock mold from Shawn Collins eBay store that while spendier will still ship within a weeks time!

But, I didn't come here to argue.

You're obviously stuck on this viper head being the best mold ever.

It's not one I would ever use and does not meet the OP's minimum requirements.

But you do you!

Have a great day and good fishing to you!

• Like 1

Since the OP already has other molds, I don't understand the advantage of having a single mold for tying and pinning plastics?

Since Smalljaw ties bucktail on a no collar head, perhaps the best solution would be a wire keeper head which can be cast with or without the keeper. 

Do-it conveniently offers many jig head styles utilizing both eye sockets and wire keepers to suit both aesthetic and functional preferences.

• Like 2

All are very good replies. I appreciate the different opinions. I do have different molds. My favorite silicone jigs to tie are life like silicone swim jigs. I imagine I could use most of those to tie bucktail jigs. I just didn’t know if anyone here had tried different molds for that application. It doesn’t have to have a keeper for a grub. I can hand tie one on. I am pretty good at coming up with patterns and colors for silicone swim jigs. I will just have to play with the bucktail and see how the jigs react in the water makes self. I have watched most of Smalljaw’s videos over the years. Dan is one of the people that kind got me into wanting to tie all my own jigs and my own patterns. Thanks again everyone.

On 10/17/2024 at 3:27 PM, Ogajiga said:

Since the OP already has other molds, I don't understand the advantage of having a single mold for tying and pinning plastics?

Since Smalljaw ties bucktail on a no collar head, perhaps the best solution would be a wire keeper head which can be cast with or without the keeper. 

Do-it conveniently offers many jig head styles utilizing both eye sockets and wire keepers to suit both aesthetic and functional preferences.

All are very good replies. I appreciate the different opinions. I do have different molds. My favorite silicone jigs to tie are life like silicone swim jigs. I imagine I could use most of those to tie bucktail jigs. I just didn’t know if anyone here had tried different molds for that application. It doesn’t have to have a keeper for a grub. I can hand tie one on. I am pretty good at coming up with patterns and colors for silicone swim jigs. I will just have to play with the bucktail and see how the jigs react in the water makes self. I have watched most of Smalljaw’s videos over the years. Dan is one of the people that kind got me into wanting to tie all my own jigs and my own patterns. Thanks again everyone.