Tiderunner

UV Additives

Anybody here ever used a UV additive in their plastisol? Stuff sounds interesting, and the theory behind it plausible. I already use glow powders for deep saltwater use. And tried them for freshwater night fishing use with mixed reviews  from people I shared them with. Made some 5" stick baits with a glow tail for people and one guy tried them with no luck. He cut one in half and used it as a ned rig, and had success with it that way, but that's another story. If you have made baits, or fished baits with a UV additive what were your results?

Anytime I can get an advantage fishing I'll try it. Not sure I want to invest in this one.

I make some baits with UV. Personally, I like it and think the bass do too. It only takes a pinch or a smidge in a cup of plastic so don’t over do it. Another thing I will do is add it to my topcoat when covering eyes on my leadheads. Works very well.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info. Myself and fishing buddies fish either murky waters for largemouth. Or deep water clear lakes for smallies. So anything that might give an advantage in these two extremes is a plus. So as I get ready to set up the winter work shop, I'll have to order some. If it doesn't make a difference, it won't be the first thing I tried that was a bust.

I will also probably make some saltwater stuff too. That would be deep murky waters. I already use glow baits. All curly tail grubs. So next season I can do a side by side test  of glow and UV.

Just thinking out loud here. I wonder what effect mixing UV and glow additives would be like?

You need sunlight to activate the properties of the uv, at least in my eyes that’s when I can see it the most. So, if you fish those baits at night with the glow it’s prolly not going to help. My catch rate using the uv has been good for both the Smallies and largemouth. Pro blue and uv work well for the smallmouth as does the green pumpkins for largemouth and smallmouth.

I'm not sure using glow and uv together would work anyway. But you know how we all like to experiment. Any particular brand of the uv additive you prefer? As far as using the uv baits at night, I have a UV flashlight. A powerful one that I use for uv resins. That would activate the the uv at night, but the glow would work well enough by itself. I use mostly topwater stuff at night.

I use the do it uv blast powder. I know there’s some other uv product out there but the powder works well for me as it can be added to all my mediums. Plastic, topcoat, and you can even put it in powder paint. Over the last few days, I reminded myself how very little you have to use. I juiced a little topcoat and added way too much. I prolly only needed a pinhead size amount so be careful with it. I think you will like the results and for me that is more and better bites. When they’re on it the fish just hammer a bait that has it. 

On 10/7/2024 at 8:38 AM, Apdriver said:

I use the do it uv blast powder. I know there’s some other uv product out there but the powder works well for me as it can be added to all my mediums. Plastic, topcoat, and you can even put it in powder paint. Over the last few days, I reminded myself how very little you have to use. I juiced a little topcoat and added way too much. I prolly only needed a pinhead size amount so be careful with it. I think you will like the results and for me that is more and better bites. When they’re on it the fish just hammer a bait that has it. 

I've done some searching around, and the Do-It UV Blast Powder was listed under powder paints. Is this the stuff?

The only other option I have found is the Spike It/Lureworks liquid, which after researching sounds as though it's a bit less user friendly. Although certainly not rocket science.Is this the Do It powder? And if it is, it is actually a powder paint. Does it affect the plastisol in any way. As far as mixing, I have made a little mixer attachment that fit into my Dremel that does an excellent job of mixing.

https://store.do-itmolds.com/Clear-Pro-Tec-Powder-Paint_p_810.html