4oops5

Can't find the post.

Hey all. I swear that years ago I saw someone post a softener to plastisol ratio chart where he started with a "hard" blend and showed how much softener he added to get it to medium then soft then super soft. Am I imagining this?

the reason I ask is I just got a great deal on some hard plastisol. I have always ordered plastisol by the type of bait I'm making, never ordered hard before. I have plenty of softener on hand and would love to make this hard stuff stretch ( more baits). thanks for the guidance in advance.

If you can't find that post, you can always try what I and I'm pretty sure a lot of others here do. Heat up some plastisol, add softener pour some baits and keep going until you get the softness or firmness you want.  Remember to write down your amounts. And keep in mind everybody may have a different idea on what a soft bait is, or a firm bait. Etc.

And of course different baits call for different firmness. Good luck. I wish I had your problem of a good buy on plastisol! Hard or not.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PrestigeWW said:

I usually do 1 tablespoon of softener per cup to drop it down one level of durometer. Also make sure you are using the same brand softener as your plastisol. 

I'm close to that same ratio. I'll use that amount to drop my MF medium to soft. If I'm adding salt or glass beading or even floating additive, I adjust from there. I'll even add softener to the soft blends when using additives. As far as using the same brand softener in like brand plastic, I wouldn't worry too much. I've been mixing and matching for years without issue. I don't want to keep buying more softener every time a manufacturer changes formula for their plastisol, and I change brands.  I just use what I have whatever I have on hand. Example- I have almost exclusively used MF plastisol. But I can't get it anymore. I had also tried Dead On, and bought their softener to go with it. When I was able to get MF again, I just used Dead On Softener in my MF. No problems. Same with Bait Plastics. I used either MF or Do It brand of softener, no issues then either. Now I can't get MF again But still have at least a quart of Dead On softener. Don't know what platic I'll get to replace the MF, but I won't spend$$ for new softener. Same with Hardener. I've tried them all. I have LureCraft. I hate it because of the color and smell, so I tried Do It Crystal Clear. Worked fine in whatever plastic I was using. Others may have had different results. This is only my experience. Best I can tell you is, experiment And have fun.

• Like 1